Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoi Americans

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I really can't blame you all for being confused; it's all down to the idiotic political correctness that demands we "remember we are all immigrants", much as we are required to "remember slavery", "remember how we jobbed the natives", etc., etc., etc.

I'm all for history and whatnot, but this ongoing guilt-trip is for assholes, and I don't buy it.

You have my permission to desist as well.
    Australia has a similar story. I've never heard an Aussie say that he is Korean-Australian, for example. Are you trying to say that Australia as a nation is less PC than America.
    Perish the thought. Strewth.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Team America, F*ck Yeah!
    See ya in another life, brother.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I really can't blame you all for being confused; it's all down to the idiotic political correctness that demands we "remember we are all immigrants", much as we are required to "remember slavery", "remember how we jobbed the natives", etc., etc., etc.

I'm all for history and whatnot, but this ongoing guilt-trip is for assholes, and I don't buy it.

You have my permission to desist as well.
    Australia has a similar story. I've never heard an Aussie say that he is Korean-Australian, for example. Are you trying to say that Australia as a nation is less PC than America.
    Australia comes a cropper - the U.S. has no equal.

Not even Wales can challenge her.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Yeah but Australia was full of criminals.

No wait...

5. Lounge   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Absolute rubbish anyway, the PC argument.

All the supposed demands that Americans remember that they're all immigrants is tempered with the constant flag waving. Americans are a very patriotic people, no mistake. Americans love being from America, they just want to stand out from the herd.

No, the reason is because there are so damn many Americans who collectively have little to shout about. No history to speak of and certainly no culture to call their own.
    It appears that to an American, being just that is rather banal. Much better to spice it up with a little European flavour. Gets the juices flowing for stereotypical thinking.

Irish-American - uproarious, loikes the craic.
    Italian-American - watch out, unpredictable.
    Latin-American - musically gifted, lithe dancers.
    American - ummm ... redneck?

That's the crux of it. Being American is thought of, by Americans, to be less exciting than being European.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Perish the thought. Strewth.

Australian politicians > all other politicians.

Apart from maybe those Taiwanese MPs who had an awesome fist-fight in their parliament last year.
    I think it happens a fair bit over-there. Which is nice, shows they really care.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Absolute rubbish anyway, the PC argument.

All the supposed demands that Americans remember that they're all immigrants is tempered with the constant flag waving. Americans are a very patriotic people, no mistake. Americans love being from America, they just want to stand out from the herd.

No, the reason is because there are so damn many Americans who collectively have little to shout about. No history to speak of and certainly no culture to call their own.
    It appears that to an American, being just that is rather banal. Much better to spice it up with a little European flavour. Gets the juices flowing for stereotypical thinking.

Irish-American - uproarious, loikes the craic.
    Italian-American - watch out, unpredictable.
    Latin-American - musically gifted, lithe dancers.
    American - ummm ... redneck?

That's the crux of it. Being American is thought of, by Americans, to be less exciting than being European.
    Only the Americans who don't measure up are so afflicted.

Actually, we have a surplus of the Welsh model, and can make you a terrific deal...would you be interested at all.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You have a surplus of the Welsh model and can do me a terrific deal ... .

Are you attempting humour again. I've warned you about that, you're not very good at it.
    Instead, try to discern whether I'm winding you (Americans) up or not.

Truth is that my analysis of why the most powerful country on earth is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations may not be very diplomatic but it is pretty near the mark. If not smack on it.

9. Lounge   -   #19

Are you attempting humour again. I've warned you about that, you're not very good at it.

Truth is that my analysis of why the most powerful country on earth is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations may not be very diplomatic but it is pretty near the mark. If not smack on it.
    I am practicing the "jaded American" model, with which you have neither experience nor cognition, though this is of utterly no import.

It is telling that you mention the bit about "the most powerful country on earth"; Mr. Ahmadinejad would disagree - don't know if you'd heard that.

Considering you couch your theory that "the...country (inclusive)...is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations" indicates your lack of perception, as well as the innate clumsiness of your proffer.

Near the mark?

Only as regards those to whom it actually applies, and whose numbers you overestimate owing (no doubt) to your indiscriminate and incomplete media consumption.

In other words, you are, albeit in the most narrow way, correctish.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #20
    manker's Avatar effendi

I am practicing the "jaded American" model, with which you have neither experience nor cognition, though this is of utterly no import.

It is telling that you mention the bit about "the most powerful country on earth"; Mr. Ahmadinejad would disagree - don't know if you'd heard that.

Considering you couch your theory that "the...country (inclusive)...is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations" indicates your lack of perception, as well as the innate clumsiness of your proffer.

Near the mark?

Only as regards those to whom it actually applies, and whose numbers you overestimate owing (no doubt) to your indiscriminate and incomplete media consumption.

In other words, you are, albeit in the most narrow way, correctish.
    Ah, now the tabloid style of my theory should have led you to my true feelings on the matter. Mentioning stereotyping as a bad thing and then stereotyping Americans with neither qualm nor qualification throughout every post.

Very clumsy, as you say.
    I don't, as a rule, do clumsy unless there is a purpose. In this case the 'innate clumsiness' was the hook - and I don't mean this is a hook/rod scenario. I wanted someone to challenge me. Anyone, really.

You've acknowledged the substance with your last. Let me refine it, somewhat.

The US census gives figures of some 36 million US citizens claiming to be Irish-American. Wow. That's only one demographic - and the only one I need to look up. Twelve percent of the population!

I imagine that the rest of the groups who define themselves with a prefix would make-up a massive chunk of the populous. The majority? I don't know, probably, it doesn't matter because it's going to be a huge percentage.

I would suggest that these people who describe themselves as such do so for the reasons I've given. To stand out from the herd. To make themselves appear more interesting. Ergo, this massive body of people (the overwhelming majority proud to come from America, imo) believe that their country is less exciting/interesting than almost all others.

That's why the prevalence of the prefix.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast