Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Cheaters

sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    i think cheating methods shouldn't be discussed here at all. it just gives members and guests(!) wrong ideas.

if you want to talk about cheating meet in a private chat room or something and share your experiences there.
    Exactly this was my first reply to the thread and I fully agree with your comment.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    but then im not saying thats a bad thing, as our SP system is exclusive to us and i very much doubt we will share the code for it any time soon, a tracker needs to have something to stand out from the rest.
    It's because of that kind of attitude we're still stuck with sluggish and insecure TorrentBits engine. Trackers should be differentiated by communities not by the tools they provide. Seed points? Power search? Jeez, how difficult could it be to code this?

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well getting a bit offtopic here.

I didnt code it, one of my staff did, if he turned around and said he wanted to share it, i would back him, but if he says he wants it as a blackcats only mod, then i back him as well.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    report him and maybe they will spare you.

if they find out he is a cheater by themself, u might also be in trouble.
    He doesn't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by sert View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diiyad
    Wow you're clever
    At least smarter than someone using jack sparow as avatar, are you a teenager or not yet?
    A little judgmental now are we?
    I make a thread to discuss how cheating can be stopped and your first reply is "Oh your avatar has Jack Sparrow on it, and he 'cheated' in his movie, so maybe you cheat?" So excuse me for being sarcastic instead of saying something rude for your worthless comment. From what I can see you're just hitting puberty, probably 13-14 years old right? See, you judge me by my avatar, I judge you by your posts. Don't post in my thread again unless you have something useful to say kiddo.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    As long as you have dishonest people out there in the world who think they won't get caught you'll have cheaters. That's just a way of life.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    well getting a bit offtopic here.

I didnt code it, one of my staff did, if he turned around and said he wanted to share it, i would back him, but if he says he wants it as a blackcats only mod, then i back him as well.
    Yeah, it makes sense and perfectly understandable. But it's kinda against the whole idea of p2p - like I give something to you today and you'll give me something tomorrow. I guess competition and rivalry between tracker operators has something to do with it too.

It applies to cheating detection as well - if your system is secure only as long as its security algorithms are secret it's in fact a piece of crap.

I think everything torrent-related should be open and available to general public - no secret closed forums, no "private" hacks etc. Maybe torrent community will finally create a good tracker - secure, extensible, with presentation layer separated from logic. Some guys work on that "Gazelle" project but I highly doubt their ability to get the job done.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    ok, we post a vulnerabilty or a piece of code that will stop a cheating programme.

20 minutes later, 10 trackers have been hit and a new programme has been made.

this is why code of this nature is not in the public eye, you see an exploit, you exploit it before trackers have a chance to plug it. (not you just whoever)

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    it seems that every day are more cheaters :-<..

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    ok, we post a vulnerabilty or a piece of code that will stop a cheating programme.

20 minutes later, 10 trackers have been hit and a new programme has been made.

this is why code of this nature is not in the public eye, you see an exploit, you exploit it before trackers have a chance to plug it. (not you just whoever)
    This policy works out in the big world (OSes, DBMS etc), why it can't work out in the torrent world? I guess after some time all serious vulnerabilities will be patched and integrated into the common codebase. Only things you can justify keeping secret are inherent protocol weaknesses cause bittorrent protocol can't really be changed as far as I understand.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    as for the SP mod we have got.

every tracker under the sun does freeleech these days, and 2* upload, so its nothing new.

the SP mod i unique to BCG, an I personally do not believe its a freeleech system.

But i have just made a post today regarding the SP mod and if its freeleech here.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...-system-281489

and i think your slightly missing the point.

lets say windows has an exploit, someone finds it and its reported on the news, Microsoft get their asses in gear, fix the exploit and release it as a windows update.

millions of users use windows, so it 100 get effected by the exploit tough. but it takes one update and all those millions of OS are fixed within minutes/hours max.

a tracker does the same, one coder will find the fis for it, they share it on a public forum, other tracker staff may not be aware, and those tracker staff that are have to code it. problem is the public know about it and some will exploit it, and it might take weeks for all trackers to plug that hole.

also there is only about 100 tbdev trackers (probably a bit more but not many more) so the damage from exploiting the exploit would be considerable, even if they just hit 10 trackers.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-29-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast