Thread: How To Setup A Proper Desktop On Dedicated Server?

Dubstepper's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    The name probably sounds dumb lol, but when i use VNC to connect to my dedicated server (on OVH running Linux Fedora Core 6) i dont see a desktop, i just see a small command prompt type box, can anyone please let me know how i would go about making it look like a proper desktop with a proper GUI?

Thanks, i think i explained correctly. Theres a pic below, this is when i tried to use IE to do speedtest...

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just thought, sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    RevTT, SweDVDr, iTS, DB9, SCT
    Looking For: FTN, U*-*

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    If you're running Fedora then why don't you try NoMachineNx (similar to XP Remote Desktop)

It's really easy to setup and very fast (similar speed to RDP and ALOT faster than VNC)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Dubstepper's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by tihp View Post
    If you're running Fedora then why don't you try NoMachineNx (similar to XP Remote Desktop)

It's really easy to setup and very fast (similar speed to RDP and ALOT faster than VNC)
    Thanks for the reply, im actually running windows on my pc, but the dedicated server im connected to through VNC is running Fedora, i cant minimize windows, cant see desktop or no task bar or anything lol.

I have reinstalled many times but still no luck, and i want to stay on Linux not reformat to windows
    RevTT, SweDVDr, iTS, DB9, SCT
    Looking For: FTN, U*-*

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    The fast answer to your question is you have a steep learning curve. What you are seeing is actually a graphical desktop believe it or not just the basic X11 window shell. For a seedbox you can either run a commandline linux torrent client like rtorrent or install wine and run utorrent in a wine container which will work with the environment you have.If you wish to have graphical menu's etc you will need to install a window manager onto your distro, but this will be at a performance cost for your server and if it has a small amount of RAM then it will not run properly.
    If you give me some specs for your server and also some info on what you want to run with graphical menu's I can help you some more.
    Common window managers for Linux are KDE, Gnome ,XFce and ICE but if you only need the basics then TWM (Tiny Window Manager) will do the trick and uses very little resources.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    You should remove your hostname from that screenshot. See my guide for exactly what you're trying to do.

I always read comments like "don't use utorrent/wine", "use rtorrent instead", "not enough memory". From my observations, and from posts by people running uTorrent on the kimsufi, there's no problem with running uTorrent with only 256MB of RAM in Linux.