Thread: How do I get all this to work with HDTV?

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars

Unsure

I'm buying an HDTV and a PS3 sometime in the near future.

The HDTV would def have HDMI, as would the PS3 obviously.

Another thing I definitely will be doing is hooking up my Dell XPS-M1330 to the HDTV. The laptop comes with HDMI out, so no worries there.

the one question I'm trying to figure out is how do I get my 5.1 Logitech X-540 speakers to hook up to the HDTV?

I know that on the back there's analog audio jacks. The speakers come with this little adapter thing that lets you plug in the front speakers into L and R analog, but that's not full 5.1.

How do I connect the computer speakers (Front L+R, Sub, Rear L+R) to the HDTV w/ full 5.1 surround that'll work with the HDMI output of my laptop, as well as the PS3?

I'm slightly afraid it won't work because that way it works out in my head, the 5.1 speakers are currently plugged into a Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card into my laptop. Now, that said, HDMI does transmit audio, I'm not 100% sure if it does 5.1 native sound...

So basically, how do I get my Logitech X-540 to work in full 5.1 with my laptop and PS3 on a HDTV?

Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT:

i'm strongly considering getting the z5500 just cuz it has optical input, and it's a pretty awesome set of 5.1s

my questions for the z5500:

1. If I hook up the PS3 to it, will it be full 5.1 surround sound?

2. Can I hook up more than 1 device to the z5500 via optical?

3. Can I just hook up the z5500 to the TV's optical out, and then use only the HDMI input of the PS3 and my Laptop to get full 5.1 surround on the z5500?

thanks
    Last edited by abu_has_the_power; 03-10-2008 at 04:20 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Well since your sound card is external and is hooked up trough USB on the Laptop any movie with 5.1 sound you play on there should give you 5.1 as long as you have the right drivers.

It just comes down to selecting the right volume controls but you probably would need to to mute the volume on your tv speakers so it wouldn't sound weird.

As for hooking up the PS3 I am not sure if hooking up the sound card to the ps3 usb would work but I really doubt it.

So my suggestion would be for you to invest on a external amp receiver and speaker setup and hook up everything to that.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Long story short, computer speakers aren't built for more than one audio source. Go buy a receiver like Onkyo or a Yamaha. I'm picking up the Onkyo TX-SR705 shortly.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    an actual receiver is like $500-1000.

here's what might work:

I leave the 5.1 surround and Audigy 2NX out in the living room w/ my tv, but leave it only for playing movies off my laptop.

Now, is there any way to hook up the PS3 to the Logitech speakers w/o spending an additional $500 to $1000?

if this works, yes, it won't be the speakers working from 2 different sources. i'll just switch when i use either one.

i see this thing:
    http://www.thenerds.net/LOGITECH.Log...=09-42278332-2

but does it still have full 5.1 surround for the ps3?

I've looked into getting the Logitech z5500 with the digital optical output. here's my question for that: If I hook up the z5500 to my audigy 2nx as well as the optical into the PS3, I can use both my laptop and my PS3 with the speakers right?

Also, if I get the z5500, digital optical supports full 5.1 surround right?

Does the z5500 plug directly into the HDTV? If so, since both the PS3 and my laptop have HDMI, can I just keep the z5500 plugged into the TV and still get full 5.1?

it says:
    Connect to multiple sources: Simultaneously connect 6 audio sources including PCs, video game consoles, and DVD, CD & portable music players… and control it all from the Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center.
    does that mean I can have the z5500 hooked up to my Audigy 2NX, PS2, PS3, and TV at the same time!?!? I look on the pic of the control panel, and it only has 1 SPDIF out.

i'm strongly considering getting the z5500 just cuz it has optical input, and it's a pretty awesome set of 5.1s

my questions for the z5500:

1. If I hook up the PS3 to it, will it be full 5.1 surround sound?

2. Can I hook up more than 1 device to the z5500 via optical?

3. Can I just hook up the z5500 to the TV's optical out, and then use only the HDMI input of the PS3 and my Laptop to get full 5.1 surround on the z5500?

thanks
    Last edited by abu_has_the_power; 03-10-2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power View Post
    i see this thing:
    http://www.thenerds.net/LOGITECH.Log...=09-42278332-2

but does it still have full 5.1 surround for the ps3?
    That adaptor is analog / 2 channels (not 5.1).
    What it does is just copy the signal from your front speakers to use for the rear, center, etc. Not a true surround.

Easiest way, imo, is either buy a switch, buy a receiver, or swap the wire whenever you want to switch what is using the speakers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Easiest way, imo, is either buy a switch, buy a receiver, or swap the wire whenever you want to switch what is using the speakers.
    This gets my vote

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    That's an interesting question... As someone that hates not being able to shoot up an answer, i've looked it up a bit.

Searching for a Digital-->Analog audio converter did lead me to many dead ends!!! Apparently, it is illegal to manufacture a digital-->analog converter because of HDCP rights, you might want to look here:
    * Digital-->Analog video converter: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=7403

Then i came across this thread which is discussing the exact same thing:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=836745

This might be the thing you are looking for:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Pr...Hipster_DE005/
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Pr...zHipser_DE006/
    It mentions that the DE006 is about 40US$...

And this one:
    http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvprod...p?prod_id=5277
    Which is 399US$...

Hope that JazzHipser can help solve your problem...
    Best of luck!