Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow speeds in uTorrent? ISP throttling?

whip22's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    alright so my isp throttles and i upload at like 5kb/sec. That is freeeeeking slow. I need some help or suggestions on why this is the case.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/242286837.png <- that's my speedtest. I should be uploading at around 80kb/sec - 100kb/sec

http://i27.tinypic.com/73knqx.jpg <- wth is going on there!

Please help me! Any suggestions. I pick my torrents good. Trust me. and uhh the yellow thing is green now so no worries on that. I just opened utorrent.

Thanks for ur help fst!

My friend has same isp, crappier package, and can upload at 60kb/sec! WHYYYYY? Is it my computer?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    tyman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    click the speed guide and checkk "enable encryption"

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Changed thread title. Please be sure to put something appropriate in the future.

yo

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Changed thread title. Please be sure to put something appropriate in the future.
    yea sry, btw encrypted is on.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Your isp is Rogers. They are well known for bandwidth shaping torrent traffic. Usually downloads run alright but when uploading they cap me at around 10 kB/s. Using encryption does not help since they throttle all encrypted traffic, including your encrypted email, logins etc. The throttling though is based on ip. Your friend may have one of their older ip's which isn's affected as much.
    Obviously this is a pain if you are trying to maintain a decent ratio on the good sites (couple it with their monthly transfer cap and it is a royal pain in the ass)
    I get around it by using a seedbox. It is outside the rogers network, uploads and downloads my torrent traffic, and I get the files by ftp.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    try uTorrent 1.8 Beta Build 6806

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    While you are looking for other method to counter the throttling, try doing the seeding after midnight. My isp throttled my connection most hrs of the day but it goes normal after 1 am until around 8-9am the next morning.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mystic View Post
    Your isp is Rogers. They are well known for bandwidth shaping torrent traffic. Usually downloads run alright but when uploading they cap me at around 10 kB/s. Using encryption does not help since they throttle all encrypted traffic, including your encrypted email, logins etc. The throttling though is based on ip. Your friend may have one of their older ip's which isn's affected as much.
    Obviously this is a pain if you are trying to maintain a decent ratio on the good sites (couple it with their monthly transfer cap and it is a royal pain in the ass)
    I get around it by using a seedbox. It is outside the rogers network, uploads and downloads my torrent traffic, and I get the files by ftp.
    icic i get ur point he does have old ip. Smart thinking man. I guess i just gotta switch isp. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    While you are looking for other method to counter the throttling, try doing the seeding after midnight. My isp throttled my connection most hrs of the day but it goes normal after 1 am until around 8-9am the next morning.
    my computer is on 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoZed View Post
    try uTorrent 1.8 Beta Build 6806
    is it any better?
    Last edited by whip22; 03-05-2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Mine is mostly on 24/7 too, but after midnight I do selective seeding. That way I get to pick what tracker I channeled my bandwidth to.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Use some weird port that is not normally used by bittorrent clients and yes making sure encryption is enabled is a plus. I think that's all that is needed. I can get full speed uploading and I know my ISP uses traffic shapping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast