View Poll Results: Whats the Next Big Torrent Source?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • SysDev

50 48.08%
  • Project Gazelle

54 51.92%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [ :: So Whats The Next Revolutionary Torrent Source :: ]

Dr_Green_Thumb's Avatar Mangina BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by darkness View Post
    SysDev: Created by the Infamous System.
    Is that System from RVT who is working on that?

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    Source tbdev
    if you really wanna read more about Project Gazelle

go too tbdev

http://www.tbdev.net/index.php?showtopic=15220
    Last edited by jam0980tr; 03-07-2008 at 02:41 AM.
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Green_Thumb View Post
    SysDev: Created by the Infamous System.
    Is that System from RVT who is working on that?
    Yes, it's me. Infamous though?

I don't see it as competition. I spent last night with some of the other alpha testers of gazelle poking holes in it so it can be better secured, and I regularly talk to at least one member of their team.

I was slightly envious when I saw their staff control panel, but the 2 are aimed at different things so their panel would not work in sysdev, just as some of my optimizations wouldn't work for them.

A little info about sysdev though. The aim of the (very preliminary) speed test was not to show that it could handle hundreds of thousands of connections per hour, but that it could handle connections on very cheap hardware. If I'm succesful and 450K peers can go on a $70 box, 10K peer sites should easily run on a <$10 VPS.
    I want it to be an out of the box, easy set up site for small to medium sites that can be run on shared hosting or a VPS.

As things stand at the moment, there's no real easy way to get a site setup, secured and optimized unless you are a coder or have one to help you. I don't believe that all torrent sites should be run by coders, who may not actually be best for the job. I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin

You'll also need a good VPS or dedi box very quickly for any new site that's succesful. This costs money, and leaves a paper trail, so new sites cannot easily appear overnight. Revolt did, but I had a server already and I then spent the next week doing security and optimization.

Basically, I want to remove the barrier that prevents non-coders from setting up a new site whenever one is needed.
    When oink went down, a lot of people were looking for an alternative but had to wait for what/waffles. When I started revolt to house the misplaced community from another site, everyone was waiting for someone else to come along and do it.
    I don't see any reason why any group of people with a common interest should have to wait days, let alone weeks, or why they should need to ensure they have the finances before starting.
    If it can be running within minutes, and have a cost requirement of $10 with a code requirement of zero, things can only be better for the users.

Fast setup and low requirements also mean that should a site be taken offline, it can be running again elsewhere very quickly.

For that reason, it wont have anywhere near the level of complexity or features that gazelle or any fully modded tb source does. But it will have the basics you need to start running a private site with the most useful extras, while being as secure as I can make it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by rvt
    I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin
    We all our 'crap' sysop, you have created a very special place, and what you are doing for the future of the community by developing the sysdev
    code is awesome. I truly wish I had the ability to give to the community what
    you have done with code development.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by (I) View Post
    I love our current TB source

What ratio tracking means?

The Tracking of Ratios?

Cant be more clear than that ..
    Perhaps it's too easy to understand
    Of course all private trackers need tracking ratio sys. lol

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    singing_sol's Avatar ftn lover!!! BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    yeah a right to go with an option at this moment would be wrong so letz wait for the results

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Sysdev.

For Serving Community

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    i would say none, the next revolutionnary torrent source would have to be in ruby on rails, nothing revolutionnary using php
    Last edited by KFlint; 03-07-2008 at 04:19 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rvt
    I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin
    We all our 'crap' sysop, you have created a very special place, and what you are doing for the future of the community by developing the sysdev
    code is awesome. I truly wish I had the ability to give to the community what
    you have done with code development.
    1+. Definitely agree.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    i would say none, the next revolutionnary torrent source would have to be in ruby on rails, nothing revolutionnary using php
    The thing about ruby on rails is that it's a framework. It's primarily designed so you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and use prebuilt code for most things.
    Nothing revolutionary can come from that.

Building every single line of code from the ground up and doing things in new ways is the only way to revolutionize it.

Besides, a good reason for building it line by line is so you know it's secure. Blindly using someone elses library is bad enough, using a framework where you never even see the code you are relying on is worse.

Frameworks are also slower than custom code whether they are written in php or ruby. They have overheads that the custom code doesn't.

Besides all that, how many places have ROR installed? How many people can understand ROR easily let alone create mods?
    PHP/mysql is almost universal, and there's a huge base of people able to create basic mods for PHP code.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast