Thread: Networking Problem

i have 2 computer connected via a hub. they used 2 work with each otha but i took 1 comp 2 my dads 4 a few weeks. now they are connected, they wont accept each other (not even with a X-over cable). i have changed settings on both computer but nothing is happening. ne ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    try to change the workgroup both pcs to like "home" or something

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Being more specific might help solving the problem. What changes in the settings have you done to fix it?
    Try setting up a home network for sharing if you want and name the network name same on both the computer like "mynetwork" or something.

Crossover is not working? Are you sure? What have you tried to check if its not working. On the run command try typing
    Code:
     \\Computer Name
    Where COMPUTER NAME is the name of the computer which you want to try to communicate with.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Sometimes the internet connection has to be shared for the networking to work and if you connect through a hub, you might have to give each pc an IP.

Also just check if your network cards are working properly because ive had a few and the actuall port on the card can get damaged from moving the plug to much.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    or in win 98 in the run box thingy type winipcfg, in XP start->control Panel->Network connections->Local area connection. find the ip address.

Go into msdos or the command prompt in one computer and type ping [the ip address of the computer goes here]

for example
    ping 123.34.56.78

Now if it says sucess then its not a connection problem and the wires and cards are working properly.

If its says 100% loss or something bad like that then you need to make sure the Network cards are working properly and that you really do have a crossover cable (not a rollover or stright through).

Now you need to make sure that both computers are on the same subnet. I think that this is needed for locale traffic between windows computer (not sure really). For most cases this is all you need to do, Make sure that the first three parts of the ip address is the same for both computers (ie 123.123.123.100 and 123.123.123.101).

If thats good then you should make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup.

If this doesn&#39;t solve your problems try to be more specific and tell us exactly what you are trying to do and stop using numbers in place of words

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    ok first off....get rid of that hub and get a router...a linksys....you can pick a 4-port one up for about &#036;60 ......

if u want to stay with your current hub, go ahead...but unles it is an intelligent hub, it doesnt know to assign private IP addresses, ex DHCP.....

first, go to run and type winipcfg ...then from the drop down box click your ethernet adapter...and click release and all the numbers SHOULD go to 0.0.0.0 etc etc....
    then click renew...and give it a minute....and it SHOULD asign it a new IP.....
    something like 192.168.1.1 or whatever may be the case.... (192.168.x.x is the most common internal IP configuration)
    for winXP, go to your command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" ...should go to 0.0.0.0 etc etc...then type "ipconfig /renew"

make sure you dont confuse winipcfg with ipconfig ....winipcfg will only run on win98....and "ipconfig" is for XP and Win2000.....

if THAT doesnt work, then u have a hardware problem....make sure your cables are securely into their sockets, etc etc....

if that DOES work, but u still cant connect to the internet..etc etc...
    try going to the command prompt and typing ping 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2 being your other somputer that wont connect....)

if u get a response that says something like... "request timed out, then u have REAL problem..."

if it pings fine, and says "pinging etc etc with 32 bytes of data...then u just have your settings set up incorrectly....

like someone else said, make sure you ARE both on the same workgroup...for ex : HOME

also, can you access the other computer from network neighborhood or (if u have XP) My Network Places.....or can it just not access the internet???

hope some of this helped.....post with any questions....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    It worked before, he said.

Clear the dns cache and restart the computer. It&#39;s still trying to connect through the dns server registered when you took it to your dad&#39;s house.

Use the /flushdns , /registerdns switches after ipconfig. you can bring up these options in your system by typing ipconfig /? at a command prompt.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

USAGE:
    &nbsp; ipconfig [/? | /all | /release [adapter] | /renew [adapter]
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | /flushdns | /registerdns
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | /showclassid adapter
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | /setclassid adapter [classidtoset] ]

&nbsp; adapter&nbsp; &nbsp; Full name or pattern with &#39;*&#39; and &#39;?&#39; to &#39;match&#39;,
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; * matches any character, ? matches one character.
    &nbsp; Options
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /?&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Display this help message.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /all&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Display full configuration information.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /release&nbsp; &nbsp; Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /renew&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /flushdns&nbsp; &nbsp; Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /displaydns&nbsp; Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /setclassid&nbsp; Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
    default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
    leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For SetClassID, if no class id is specified, then the classid is removed.

Examples:
    &nbsp; &nbsp; > ipconfig&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ... Show information.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; > ipconfig /all&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ... Show detailed information
    &nbsp; &nbsp; > ipconfig /renew&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ... renew all adapaters
    &nbsp; &nbsp; > ipconfig /renew EL*&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ... renew adapters named EL....
    &nbsp; &nbsp; > ipconfig /release *ELINK?21*&nbsp; ... release all matching adapters,
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; eg. ELINK-21, myELELINKi21adapter.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    am running windows 98. i have tried cross over, both comp pluged in2 hub w/o internet, both comp pluged in2 hub with internet, done the last 2 with router, tried typin &#092;&#092;comp1 etc but still nothing. i was told last time i got it working settings on both computers must be the same, all are (i think). all cables work, network ports work (1 is used 4 internet, otha was used at me dads with his comp)