Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kde 4

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    If you use Linux and have not been living under a rock for the past few months then you might just have heard about the latest version of KDE that is meant to change the world.

So who has used KDE 4 so far and what do you think of it?

To tell you the truth it has not lived up to the hype. I know its still really for testers at this stage and it wont be production ready until it hits 4.1 but i am still dissapointed.

My main disappointment is the fact i still cant get those fancy desktop effects working. Im blaming this more on the ati drivers but its still a pain.

There are a few nice new features that make life easier and prettier. Being able to use css and svg in desktop apps makes things like the system monitor look very nice indeed.

also the inclusion of a gui to renice processes can be a great help.

The lack of any stable applications that use QT4 properly also seems to be a bit of a sticking point at the minute but im sure there will be a whole plethora of them soon. Im still using a lot of the older kde3 applications like amarok 1.4.8 since the 2.0 branch is pretty much unusable at the minute.

Anyway in closing this KDE4 shows great promise but its not quite there yet. I would wait until a major Kde based distro included it or it hits the 4.1 mark before using it as your main desktop.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have similar opinions of Kde 4. I've tested it starting from the alpha releases and it was very unstable once, now it seems to be stabilized still not enough to use as a main desktop. It's all nice and good, but it's still not the "big thing" I've been waiting for a long time. I'll wait a lot I guess. Nowadays I'm only using Windows but when 4.1 releases I'll install Archlinux (my favorite distro) again to see how it's like.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Super buggy at time i tested it (2 months ago) and doesn't offer better usability than 3.5 , ditched right away after installation.

It's better to wait for 4.1 ...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TidusBlade's Avatar Watermelon Knight BT Rep: +3
    I tried it when the Kubuntu KDE4 came out, looks awesome
    But it's not as good as KDE3.5 at the moment, many programs arent perfect and it's missing quite alot of things. so Ill just wait for KDE4.1 or 4.2 as yozshura said...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    I tried using KDE4's zoom function, and it turned my screen black. The only way to fix the problem was to log in with a recovery terminal and delete my entire profile.

Many of the options for configuring panels that are present in 3.x are not yet implemented, so there is limited customization possible.

I also think that the SUSE-style menu system is really annoying to navigate, especially when using a touchpad.

Anyway, it seems to have a long way to go.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Xhester's Avatar Linux Lover BT Rep: +4
    I dont like KDE Gnome is much better
    "Software is like sex: it's better when it's free"
    Linus Torvalds

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I tried KDE when it was in beta stage and then when it came out officially, and there was always some annoying bugs, and there is far less options than KDE 3...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Xhester's Avatar Linux Lover BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by markys View Post
    I tried KDE when it was in beta stage and then when it came out officially, and there was always some annoying bugs, and there is far less options than KDE 3...
    Yh, i use Gnome but if i had to chose i will choose KDE 3.5
    "Software is like sex: it's better when it's free"
    Linus Torvalds

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    albcamus
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    I tried using KDE4's zoom function, and it turned my screen black. The only way to fix the problem was to log in with a recovery terminal and delete my entire profile.

Many of the options for configuring panels that are present in 3.x are not yet implemented, so there is limited customization possible.

I also think that the SUSE-style menu system is really annoying to navigate, especially when using a touchpad.

Anyway, it seems to have a long way to go.
    comparing to KDE3.5, KDE4 is really a bad one.

The konsole of KDE3 is fully customizable, allowing users to control everything as they want to. As for konsole of KDE4, Oh, you can't even define a keyboard shortcut for changing to a perticular tab! I mean, Tab 2 for example.

systemsettings is incapable, think about Kcontrol of KDE3, which allows you configure everything as you like.

I don't like KDE4, not at all. KDE4 is trying to catch up with, IMHO, Apple and Windows. But OTOH, betraying the Unix principles: “mechanism, not policy”. Why should Linux catch up with Apple OS or M$ Windows? Is KDE self-abased?

KDE4 developers are making policies for us, with no choice left for us. I'll run away from Linux in case that we have no other WM choice but KDE4.

Besides, I'm not a native English speaker. I came here by googling KDE4.
    Last edited by albcamus; 07-11-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    wevotedno's Avatar SeeD BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I will stick with gnome. KDE reminds me too much of M$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast