Thread: something wrong with pc

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I am trying to reinstall windows on a machine, and I keep getting things like "setup was unable to copy file bla bla, press enter to retry, F3 to quit, etc etc"
    So I tought maybe the cd drive was going bad, so I put in another, and get the same results. I kept hitting enter to get through the XP setup, and when it got through it, I got a BSOD that said "irq less than not equal".
    Im sure it a piece of hardware failing. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the cause.
    Im going to keep messing with it, I just thought I would post to see if I could get a quick possibility.
    Its a pentium 3, 40gb drive, 760 something sdram, radeon 9700 vid, nothing much else to speak of really.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Sounds like your disc is bad/scratched. Just go download the newest release and try again.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    well, I thought about that too, so I put the XP disc in my working machine and used nero to make a copy onto a fresh disc, and it didnt help. Could the data on the disc be bad maybe?
    Since I use a legit VLK copy, would my code work on just some "off the net" copy of xp pro?

Also, this machine started doing goofy things, thats why it is being reinstalled. I just figured windows was all messed up. Thats why im thinking hardware malfluctuations lol
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 03-08-2008 at 08:20 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Ime the HDD has to be nuked & formatted independently of the XP disk.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³ View Post
    well, I thought about that too, so I put the XP disc in my working machine and used nero to make a copy onto a fresh disc, and it didnt help. Could the data on the disc be bad maybe?
    Since I use a legit VLK copy, would my code work on just some "off the net" copy of xp pro?

Also, this machine started doing goofy things, thats why it is being reinstalled. I just figured windows was all messed up. Thats why im thinking hardware malfluctuations lol
    Your SN should work with a "net" copy sure, Also could be your Power supply I have read many many things like this that have turned out to be the PSU if you have another you might want to try it also.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh shit, I just remembered the ram. I've seen in the past bad ram messing up installs. Try running memtest just to be sure.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, by making of a copy of a scratched disc you are still copying all the read errors over to the new disc. This isn't going to help you. If it's not the ram or the disc it's gotta be the hard drive. Try running a diagnostics tool on the hard drive too.

Maxtor's Powermax
    Seagate's Seatools
    Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics