Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Networking 2 computers wirelessly but with a twist

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Really I seem to be having a problem getting them to recognise each other when 1 is wired and the other is wireless. I am going to have to do a reinstall of windows in a few days as I want to update my rig a bit, so I will try again then and ask for help again. Thanks to all

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I just hooked a Dlink media server(about $150) to my network. I use the included remote to can watch any movies,
    listen to any music and view any photos stored on my primary PC. I also have access to 1 of 4 different music services.

Piece of cake.

The only drawback is I will need to buy a new HD media server when HD content becomes the norm.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Really I seem to be having a problem getting them to recognise each other when 1 is wired and the other is wireless. I am going to have to do a reinstall of windows in a few days as I want to update my rig a bit, so I will try again then and ask for help again. Thanks to all
    you not only have to be on the same network but also on the same workgroup. so make sure those are the same

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Much appreciated, Thanks you see the real problem here is I don't know fu@k all about networking, I just started following the "set up a home network wizard" and messing with the options. I really need to just sit and learn what I'm doing first, but I am the type to dive in and fix it later alas why this thread.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    yea, there's a few things that can hang you up. are the op systems on each the same? xp is very networking friendly. vista... not so much.

you'll also want to share the relevant folders on the main rig, then map a network drive on the micro and use an address like \\pc_name\folder\ or create a shortcut to that network location.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    then map a network drive on the micro and use an address like \\pc_name\folder\ or create a shortcut to that network location.
    you wouldn't HAVE to map a network drive, but it would be a good idea, yes.

to check your workgroup, right click on My Computer and goto properties, it's somewhere in there. I'm on Vista Ultimate right now and its right at the first page, but I know in XP it's somewhere in there. Make sure the workgroup is the same for both PCs and the folders you want to access are shared.

Hope that helps

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ANY info helps at this point guys, Thanks for the help and patience here. I am going to try attempt number two prob on Sun as thats the only day I've had off from work in about 2 weeks now so maybe I can squeeze in a little "me" time.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    What is the ip address on the wired pc (probably 192.168.1.*). Then check the ip on the wireless pc (again, should be something like 192.168.1.#). If both are in the same network, then on the wireless pc, try to access the wired pc using this address //(wired pc ip).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Well I set all the pc on the network to have static ip on them. Then created a rule in my fw to allow them access. This solved the issues I had when setting this up. It could be a fw blocking them perhaps...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY View Post
    Well I set all the pc on the network to have static ip on them. Then created a rule in my fw to allow them access. This solved the issues I had when setting this up. It could be a fw blocking them perhaps...
    That's a good tip!

I personally suggest that you will:
    1. Make sure that the two devices are connected to the router.
    2. Set up a static ip for both devices.
    3. Make sure you get a bi-directional ping - This will indicate that the two devices can communicate. It still doesn't mean that they can share files, but it is a great checkpoint.

Once youve managed to establish a ping come back for help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast