Thread: Good (And Bad) Recent Trends in Usenet DVD9's

With the profusion of high bandwidth service, and reasonable cost unlimited news-servers, the trend over the last few years has slowly been from 'nothing but recodes' to more and more full dvd9 postings.

The last couple of months, though, I've noticed a 'trend' that is worrying, postings that 'appear' to be full dvd9's, but arn't, either stripping one thing or another off, or missing the small 'bits and pieces' like CD-ROM folders, and the like. One would think, at the minimum, ripping the entire disc to ISO would be about the easiest thing to do, but apparently it's a major challenge to some folks. Some try to post the video.ts folders and 'screw the pooch' doing that. Great.

Just a bit of a 'vent' here, but it's almost 'out of hand'. I've spend the time and effort over the last couple of weeks to d/l things that were available without any extras in the 'recode' market, but wanted the 'full tilt deal'. Only to find that the 'stripped' dvd9 was hacked to pieces by the poster, in some misguided attempt to.... what?

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I guess it's what people think 'is right'... on what planet is my question. And thanks for the attempt

But the amount of full postings is really starting to take off (FIOS maybe?). Hope the trend continues, but also hope that a BIT more care is taken in the run up to super-speed!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    This was inevitable with the ever-growing numbers of filesharers turning to usenet as a relative safe haven for downloads. The general ineptitude of most filesharers will only continue to pollute what was once a quality community where one could find quality releases in their misguided attempts at sharing. I'm sorry if I sound elitist, but how has it that a good number of new usenet users do not know how to download a file without a nzb?? So, i guess it's not much of a surprise that the "average" usenet user is unable to decrypt a DVD9.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Yep. I 'generally' don't post a listing here until I fully d/l the thing, but the other day I 'thought' it was important, so I did (post the listing/nzb here).

BIG mistake. A couple hours later I finished with the d/l, and voila, it was seriously wacked by the uploader. I did post a 'danger/beware' message on it, but it still rankled me. I've hit more than a handful lately, maybe I should list them here in the 'general' message area, so folks can get if they wish or 'give it a pass'. It should only take a couple minutes, maybe it'll save someone the effort (or not, as the case may be), but again, you're right, usenet goes through these kinds of comings and goings every couple of years, usually when, like you say, folks 'discover' it

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    yes, i 'see'