Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .avi with subtitles built in. Can they be removed?

I downloaded an English .avi movie with Swedish subtitles built in. Is there a way to remove/disable the subtitles? (There was no subtitle file included with the download.)

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Then that means they probably are hardcoded into the video so no you will not be able to remove them. Unless you are lucky and the subs are located in the part of the screen were the black bars are shown then maybe cropping the video to remove the black bars might work.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Yes. If you have VLC player goto Video, video track and you should be able to disable them

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanks DKre8ive1, that answers my question. I'll just have to download another version

Maax, that doesn't work for my situation. It doesn't give me an option to disable subtitles, only the entire video
    Last edited by vobilli; 03-18-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85BT Rep +85
    Quote Originally Posted by vobilli View Post
    Thanks DKre8ive1, that answers my question. I'll just have to download another version

Maax, that doesn't work for my situation. It doesn't give me an option to disable subtitles, only the entire video
    If the subtitle can be turned off by VLC but there's no caption file such as .smi, probably this file will be in mkv, ogm, or similar formats in which captions are embedded in the file itself but in a systematical way (so, in this case, the current extension of that file is .avi, but originally it should be .mkv, .ogm, or something else). You can check it by looking at the file information in VLC.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by MaaxHimself View Post
    Yes. If you have VLC player goto Video, video track and you should be able to disable them
    No, if they are hardcoded that means you cannot remove them. They are not selectable and are coded in the image. It is like a channel-logo, you cannot select to see it or not.

But it is possible to romove a channel-logo with some video-encoding programs.
    So you could try to do the same thing with the subs. But it is a lot of hassle. I'd just re-download a decent version of the movie without subs, if I were you.

Good luck.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    While what Disme said is (theoretically) possible you should be aware of the fact that each re-encoding process affects the image and video quality, so removing subtitles (and using whichever filters are suited best for that task) will not only fracture the movie at the place where subtitles currently appear but will also lower the quality of the rest of the screen.

That's a consequence I wouldn't want to accept, but then again I like a good quality picture

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Why would you want to get rid of that cool looking language at the bottom of the screen?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    Then that means they probably are hardcoded into the video so no you will not be able to remove them. Unless you are lucky and the subs are located in the part of the screen were the black bars are shown then maybe cropping the video to remove the black bars might work.
    Exactly. Unless your able to crop them, which in most cases you can't..Unless you want to render the avi file useless, it's not possible(Well it is, but it wouldn't be smart or wise). If it is soft subs? Then obviously you would just either disable the subtitles in a player like Gomplayer, VLC, KMP, MPC, or delete the sub text file from the same folder where the avi file is located on your hdd.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    nelsonalanbegi
    i recommend idealshare videogo which can easily remove subtitles from various video format like mkv, avi, mp4, wmv, vob, and etc
    just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Delete Subtitles from MKV, AVI, MP4, VOB, FLV, MPEG and etc
    you will find a detailed guide

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast