Thread: Seedbox VNC

Poster BT Rep: +5

Unsure

Hey. I've been following naq's great guide on setting up a seedbox on fedora core 4.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331

I'm up to the bit where you have log in with tightVNC, however when i do all i get is a black screen with a cross infront of it. I've followed everything word for word and done some google research but can't find anything to help. Is anyone able to shed some light?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    did u type wine utorrent......... did you start vnc in putty.............that set up will give me a headache this what i used Originally Posted by Buggyme
    Installing uTorrent on a Leeware
    Updates
    11-Apr: Added a bit of information on speed issues
    3-Apr: Added a few more things on how to install uTorrent on a Leaseweb server.
    TONS of people have been PMing me lately to set up their Leeware boxes, so I guess I should just post a guide on how to do it This guide is intended for Leeware servers only, but it may work with other servers running RPM based distributions (aka distros) as well. Firstly, you need to get the following applications:
    Putty or any other SSH client
    FTP Client (with SFTP support) like CuteFTP, WinSCP, WS_FTP, etc.
    TightVNC or any other VNC Viewer
    Now, follow instructions carefully.
    Open up Putty. On the left tree, go to Session.
    Under Hostname (or IP address) type your IP or hostname (i.e. vpsxxx.leeware.com)
    Choose SSH (port 22)
    Under Saved Sessions, type something like "My Leeware Box" and press Save. (Later on, you can just load the session, so you don't have to do the previous steps again)
    Press Open.
    Now, a black screen should come up (terminal/command prompt).
    Enter your root account details - (username, password)
    Notice, when you type in the password, nothing appears on the screen! That's not a bug - it's normal. Btw, you can also paste the password by right click (again, putty won't display anything on screen).
    At this point, you should be logged on. Yay, we can install some stuff now.
    Type yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server to install those 3 apps: xterm (a GUI terminal), wine (to emulate windows), and VNC server (to allow you to remote control your server with a GUI).
    After a while, you should see that those 3 apps are installed.
    Download uTorrent onto your server. Type wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe
    Start VNC server, type vncserver :1
    Enter any password of your choice for the VNC server.
    Now, VNC server should be started. So, you can login with VNC viewer (which you installed on YOUR PC).
    The server address is: :1 or :1. (e.g. vps778.leeware.com:1)
    Now, a desktop should appear with a terminal/command prompt on the top left hand corner.
    Run uTorrent. Type wine utorrent.exe.
    w00t! uTorrent should be up and running now. Also, you should go to preferences and change the settings to whatever you want.
    But, what about webUI? Well, you can install the WebUI through SSH, but since lots of people asked me about how to get files from their box to their HDD, I'll just teach you how to do it using SFTP.
    On uTorrent, go to preferences and on the side tree, go to Advanced >> WebUI - tick Enable Web Interface and also, put your desired username and password for the webUI.
    I also recommend putting an alternative port (8080 is fine).
    Now, use your FTP client and login to your server. Put SFTP as the mode, put in the hostname/IP and port should be the default 22.
    Boom! You should see all the files in your server now.
    Browse to /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent/
    Get WebUI and extract webui.zip. Now, transfer webui.zip to the directory that I specified above (through SFTP of course). Btw, you usually just to drag and drop the file.
    Voila! WebUI is installed.

But, where is it, where's the WebUI?
    Go to http://hostname:port/gui/ with your browser and login with your chosen username and password.
    For example: http://vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/gui/
    More Frequently Asked Questions
    Will uTorrent still run if I close VNC and Putty?
    Yeah, it will still run. VNC and Putty is just to control your server.
    How do I add torrents to the WebUI?
    Well, that's simple - just press the (+) button on the WebUI. Alternatively, you might want to get this firefox extension so you can just drag and drop links from torrent sites.
    Yeah, so I get all this. But how do I download stuff from the box to my server?
    Use FTP. When you installed the WebUI, you're basically uploading webui.zip on to the server. Here, you do the reverse (Yeah, you can drag and drop).
    GRRR! I'm getting slow speeds! What do I do? NEW!
    If you used the speed guide on uTorrent and set it to xxx/100mbps, you should be getting the maximum speeds out of your leeware. You have to also remember that speeds depend on the torrent as well (I suggest you check peers list to see others' speeds). Other than that, I HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE SPEED (please don't PM me about this). Live with it, or if you're getting ridiculously low speeds then email lee.
    OMG, Where does uTorrent save the files?
    Wherever you set it to in Preferences. The default is /root/. (There's nothing wrong with the default directory btw, you don't need to change it.)
    Sh*t, my server just crashed and WebUI ain't running anymore, what do I do?
    Well, it's a simple process. Just login to your server using Putty. Type vncserver :1 to run VNC server again. Login to the VNC server using VNC viewer, and run uTorrent from the terminal - wine utorrent.exe. Now, everything should be fine. (For people who are more 1337 with Linux, if you want you can edit the VNC start up file (on ~/.vnc/ to run uTorrent automatically when VNC starts to make life easier).
    How do I run Firefox and do other stuff on the server?
    This guide is only for installing uTorrent and plus, on a Leeware, there's really no point installing Firefox and other applications because it's so slow (you get what you pay for).
    What!!!?? There are no screenshots!!!
    Yeah, not at the moment. I might add some later on.
    Will you be making a guide for installing TorrentFlux, rTorrent, and etc?
    No, IMO uTorrent is highly superior to the other clients. The WebUI is sexy
    I tried this on a Leaseweb Express server but it doesn't work.
    Yeah, leaseweb servers doesn't have SFTP. The installation process is a bit more complicated. First, you need to add a repository (like RPMForge) which contains: xterm, wine, vnc-server and etc. You also need to install fonts (msttcorefonts) and you'd need to install WebUI by using wget and unrar (not built-in you need to install this as well). You might also want to install an FTP server (proftpd), you would also need to configure it after it's installed.
    I read all of this, but I'm still stuck...
    I am afraid you're just too much of a n00b to use a Linux Server - get Windows!!
    LOL Just joking, you can PM me (with your AIM/MSN/YAHOO, etc. preferably), and I'll see what I can do.
    P.S. This guide might contain some errors - so feel free to comment and give feedback.
    -------------------------------
    Thanks for reading
    Great guide!
    Thanks, BuggyMe
    Now that Leeware is not running a server it looks like he is reselling someone elses the company is
    www.tzulo.com
    I'm renting one from Lee.
    Now here is my problem I used the Guide here.I have everything installed up to webUI.
    Line #6 said to get WEBUI and extract webul.zip .
    I downloaded it to my computer it is a rar file I extracted it on my computer there are two file in it .Then the webui.zip I moved it to /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/application Data/uToorent/
    Now I see it with Cute FTP It is still zipped.
    Does it need to be unzipped,before I put it on the VPS server.
    Then I have one more question.
    Where is the WebUI
    The guide said to go to your browser I use FireFox
    Then go to http://hosename:port/gui/
    Well my paper work is https://vps.tzulo.com:xxxx
    That is not working also.
    I guess maybe because I don’t have webui installed right.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by weenden; 03-18-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Thanks. Followed that one as well and still just the black screen. I'm able to start the server through putty and it responds in my viewer and allows me to log in then shows the black screen.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Hey, mind posting here or PM me the vnc log? So we can see why fluxbox failed to start (reason for the X pointer/black screen). Type:

$ cat ~/.vnc/your.hostname:1.log