Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Networking 2 computers wirelessly but with a twist

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK so I am at a loss. I have my main rig wired to my Linksys wireless router (WRT54g) and a USB wireless stick on it also. Then I have a Micro rig set up in the other room hooked up via S-video to my TV with a wireless card in it.

My question is can I/how do I network them up so that the Micro computer can read from a folder on the main rig wirelessly and letting my main rig use the wired connection for the internet? I have been fighting with this for days and I am at my wits end. I may even go and get a slingbox or something like it to make life easier. Any advice of opinions are GREATLY appreciated, Thanks guys.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    I am a bit confused. But if you connect both the main rig and the micro rig to the router, then they should be able to communicate with each other. Also, every rig connected to the router should be able to use the internet, assuming the router receives the DSL line. Usually, I am not sure about WRT54g, both wireless and wired computers are inside the same LAN.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    I am not sure about WRT54g, both wireless and wired computers are inside the same LAN.
    yip they are...

i dont see what your problem is either bud...

hook up one wired
    another wireless
    share the USB on the wired one
    read the USB from the wireless one

that dun work?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    share the USB on the wired one
    read the USB from the wireless one
    I think he has a wireless device plugged as USB stick, not a memory stick..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! i get it!

he's trying to run a wireless network connection AND a wired one at the same time

winXP and Vista will default to using the wired one only... what you can try is ICS (internet connection sharing) but i've never gotten it to work. google it for some tutorials

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    he's trying to run a wireless network connection AND a wired one at the same time
    yes, but I don't see the point of doing this..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    yes, but I don't see the point of doing this..
    well lets wait till he comes back on and see :p

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sorry if I wasn't so clear. OK well I want to watch movies as soon as they are downloaded from my main rig on my television in the other room without having to run another cable from my router (which is downstairs)

So in my head at least I thought to build a micro computer and mess around with a "home theater" type thing so I could have all of my 2TB of movies available without having to burn them to a disk I have tried many other options ie. flash drive external HDD hooked up to Divx player with a USB port, but I was never 100% happy with the outcome because I have to burn something.

By all means if you guys have a better idea I am open to it. but for now this is an option I would like to explore.

BTW after messing around with the network options now I keep getting this message

"The Network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the network service is enabled and running."

WTF does this mean!?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i dont know what that means sorry... but i'll tell you my setup

I have a TV/Downloader PC. It's hooked up to my TV through DVI and is on 24/7 downloading and uploading. it also has a 1TB external drive on it that i watch all my movies and TV off of

what I do is, download to the PC's internal 160GB drive and when it's done, extract to the external one.

you can do that, or like you said, have your main PC and your micro PC on the same network and stream wirelessly, but in my experience, thats not too good for skipping ahead and rewinding.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i'm also confused why you want a wired + wireless connection on the main rig?

like said before, if they are both connected to the router (regardless of connection type) they should be visible to each other since they're still on the same LAN.

i share files between my wired desktop and wirelessly connected laptop all the time. it's the same thing, no? or are we still missing something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast