Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help creating torrent site

Hey people i'm looking to creating my own torrent site with boating/sailing/watersports,however having a hard time getting it up and running.I know the basics of seed,leech,creating torrent file,uploading,downloading but creating my own site is not as easy as it seems.

I know when creating a website you can have someone host it for you free like Homestead,Angelfire,Tripod using their templates.Which i think is great for someone starting from scratch,very simple and basic.Now can i use the same principal as that for geting a torrent site hosted for free?Who offers this and how does it work so i can get a simple,basic site up and running thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    F3n1x's Avatar 0x34a BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well free host for torrent site no way, you will need a dedicated server or minimum a VPS, after you can check tbdev.net forum tbdev source is the one used in many torrent sites.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    What's a dedicated server or VPS?I checked out tbdev.net,but not sure what tbdev source is or how it works.I'm new at all this.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    wtf ? and you wanna create a site ? Check out the following :

Operating System:

http://www.freebsd.org
    http://fedoraproject.org/

PHP & MySQL :

http://www.php.net
    http://www.mysql.com

After you've read understand and have a clue how the above works checkout :

TBDEV :

http://www.tbdev.net

Google for Dedicated servers though i suggest you setup a spare pc or your home pc for testing purposes and when your ready then look for a hosting solution. You will need to understand PHP so that you can patch holes TBDEV has and any other coding that needs to be done. It wouldn't hurt to Pickup afew books on Security. GL.
    Last edited by SaRkAsM; 03-22-2008 at 01:20 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    before starting make sure you have enough money to pay for servers.... and eventually to pay for ppl that can cover you and buy the services under their name...

it's just a matter of money... you can even rent a coder that can write a site from scratch

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Torrent sites can't really be hosted for free like websites. You'll need your own server or VPS(Virtual Private Server-I think) That will run you in the neighborhood of $100 a month. By the questions your asking I can tell you don't know much about coding/programming that means you'll probably have to spend a fair amount of money getting someone to help you build the website.

I've actually contemplated building a kayaking/sailing oriented tracker for a while now but due to other projects had to put it on the back burner. I'm still not sure if the interested user base(that is computer savy) is large enough to make it worth the effort.....

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wankady View Post
    I've actually contemplated building a kayaking/sailing oriented tracker for a while now but due to other projects had to put it on the back burner. I'm still not sure if the interested user base(that is computer savy) is large enough to make it worth the effort.....
    If you ever get around to building your own site,let me know cause i'd be interested in uploading some sailing material.The way i see it,there's just so much to learn when creating your own site.I've been reading and researching the links provided here,but it's really over my head.I'm no programmer or code writer that's for sure.

I just assumed it was the same principal as creating your own free hosted website like Homestead,Angelfire,Tripod.

Can i make a suggestion?Would anyone be able to create and offer a free hosted torrent site with templates similar to those of a free website?The host would provide the dedicated server or VPS,PHP & MySQL (Whatever they do)

Basically i just use their templates and start uploading content,then seed and leech and the free host does all the other programming stuff required.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Ok are you going to have any copywrited material on it?

Are you going to have a lot of members (not peers)?

Do you want a ratio system?

The best bet to start off and how i started BCG is this, start small and work your way up, do not put all your eggs in one basket. this is why most new trackers fall on their face in the first few months, owners get in to deep and before they know it, no donations and cant afford server bills.

If i was you, as its a very specialized community you doing is this.

Look for and download the BNBT tracker, install it on your own PC, its very easy, upload a torrent, stick it onto mininova, get seeds, upload another, do the same. after a few weeks see how many snatches and peers you have. problem is most people will never come to your site. (but its market research without going door to door or buying a franchise)

The put on a donation button and put an announcent on the front page, that you need to moce to a shared host (i got one for £8 a month at prq.se) which can hold 2000 peers but you will be able to have tbdev (btw while you have the BNBT tracker up and running, download wamp, install PHP and MYSQL, and learn how to set it all up, then download linux and install it and learn how to do that as well, then get tbdev and learn a bit about php/mysql (you dont need to be a genius at first).

ove over to the shared host, once you get enough donations to cover a few months, and you know you have the members to sustain it get a dedicated server, move everything over to there, and your on your way.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-23-2008 at 08:01 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I have a tracker and a forum with lots of members on a shared hosting site which is dirt cheap, so no you don't have to pay $100+ a month. You will need hosting tho, you can't just use angelfire or geocites.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    If you can wait a while, it would probably be good to wait until the Project Gazelle tracker comes out. That looks like it is going to be brilliant . . . so wait if you can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast