Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp Pro Fat Or Ntfs

Hi.. I am considering switching from win 98 to xp pro.. My comp is a wee bit old and have reinstalled win 98 a few times but after a while keep getting probs with
    " windows explorer has caused... etc blah " Xp works fine on my other comp with dual boot and Me.. On there xp is on the ntfs filing system.... Just wondered if there was any reall advantage for a home comp in switching to to ntfs when I plop xp on.. Or best to just upgrade over 98... Also if xp does not recognise hardware like it did NOT want to see my old cd writer at any cost... Just wondered if there was also anyways around this
    Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    This will explain the difference better than I ever could.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windows...3201552,00.html

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ntfs is a more stable platform, it is better if you have a larger h/drive to use ntfs as it utilises the disk space better than fat 32 but fine for smaller dives also. do a clean install rather than upgrading and format using ntfs, but dont choose quick option as it wont verify all the sectors on ya harddrive and save anything you wanna keep on a disc, if you have driver issues with ya hardware afterwards try win2000 drivers, most of the time they work just fine, just ignore the warning that they aint verified and install. hope this helps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    u wont regret going NTFS,its the only way

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    NTFS

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I have a question, from all answers it seems sketchy so if anyone could help me.

If I were to upgrade to Windows XP Pro Corp Edition, do I have to reformat, and why would I have to do so?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    upgrade from what? you dont have to format or do a clean install if you dont wanna, you can just upgrade over your old OS its just a formatted drive with a clean installation of any OS is always better, no mess or programs that wont run anymore. the choice as they say is yours

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    if you running on fat32 you can convert ya drive to ntfs as its more stable after upgrade in xp like this, its safe, painless and you dont lose ya files

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
    Open Command Prompt.
    In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert C: /fs:ntfs would format drive C: with the ntfs format.

To open command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

remember to type it exactly ie spaces where they should be etc

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    if your computer is old, consider to install Win2000 Pro instead of WinXP Pro.
    win2000 takes less resources and is AS solid and stable as winxp.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    good point but installed xp corp on my nephews system which is a 300mhz amd k5 with 192mb ram and a 2mb pci video card 6 mnths ago and it runnin just fine and although a tad slow it was never fast with win98 which crashed all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast