Thread: Intalling Windows Xp Pro

jonathan_tijuana's Avatar ...
    i have intalled win xp media center, but i want to change it to win xp pro w\o formatting the hard drive, which option is the best to install it:

upgrade

or new installation

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    upgrade if you not formattin, if you do a new install you will prob find loads of ya programs installed just wont even open afterwards and they wont be in your add remove programs either, dunno why this is but there you go

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    jonathan_tijuana's Avatar ...
    thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You'd be better doing a clean installation. Your programs won't work afterward because the registry gets wiped, but windows will run better.

My advice is that you first create a 5GB partition on which you will install windows.
    What space you have left, you should partition again to allow for Program files and media. If your drive is say 60GB or bigger divide it into a further two partitions.
    So say..

C: 5GB Windows.
    D: ??GB Program files.
    E: ??GB Media.

Good luck.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You'd be better doing a clean installation. Your programs won't work afterward because the registry gets wiped, but windows will run better.
    i have intalled win xp media center, but i want to change it to win xp pro w\o formatting the hard drive, which option is the best to install it:

yeh i'd recommend format and clean install to but post said they didnt wanna do that so better to upgrade than have a messy drive with folders for programs that dont work anymore. but do agree with ya

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Oh yeah boyzeee, i didn't even notice this.
    Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@ 5 August 2003 - 00:46
    ......to win xp pro w\o formatting the hard drive......
    Well, if it's just a case of having to reinstall your progs i'd still format. If you have a lot of files that aren't backed up then i'd use partition magic to create a seperate partition for them before you clean install. I really wouldn't advise an upgrade though.

For more on partition magic do a search of the board, i can't be arsed typing anymo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    again i agree, clean install everytime and re install ya app's

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    cborga1985
    clean install always best but upgrading is fine if you have your progs backed up on disk and you reinstall them. Also upgrading Win98se to WinXP Pro won't hert anything because I did that before and but I had to reinstall all my progs. Heck with all that Partition Stuff just Backup files on CD-RW's or CD-R's.