Thread: Looking for information on VPS solutions

chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    I read the tutorials on this site about seedboxes and I like the idea. However, I think a full dedicated server is a little too much for me. I only download about 30 GB per month, and don't think I ever did more than 100. That said, I'm also not on any serious private trackers -- just the simple ones that have the things I like. The tutorial here (https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...ner-faq-280125) made me think that perhaps a VPS is better for me. It also said that these things are much cheaper than their dedicated alternatives.

The problem is all the info on this site is geared toward Dedicated Server providers. I tried finding VPS sites online, but all of them have really low disk spaces (like 10-40GB). I was hoping more for 160. Other than that, all I really want is a 100mbps connection. I should be able to get by on 500GB monthly transfer as well. And of course the ability to SSH in as root, but I'm sure that comes standard. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

chip19

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    OVH's Kimsufi has everything you mentioned
    Except that it's not a VPS but a dedi
    It's very cheap tho, drawback is unless u live in certain countries u can't buy them

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If you live near Canada, you can go buy a visa giftcard from wal-mart, register it under a fake quebec address, then use that same address to sign up to order the ovh box.
    See ya in another life, brother.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I agree that Kimsufi package is the cheapest I've seen with those stats. The only thing is I was really hoping for something outside of US/Canada. I figured those ones would be more prone to care about file sharing bandwidth... however, maybe I'm wrong. I'm really a beginner to this idea. I have since found some pretty good VPS and dedicated offerings here in the US that are between $25 and 40 but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Do you guys think there is any advantage in these offshore (Netherlands, Germany, Malaysia, etc.) boxes or is it just a waste of money? Will the US ones work just as well? It's not like I'm planning on TBs of bandwidth here, only 500-750GB so it's not like I'm gonna be on somebody's radar screen.
    Last edited by chip19; 03-25-2008 at 09:18 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I PM'd you some private info.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chip19 View Post
    The only thing is I was really hoping for something outside of US/Canada.
    All OVH servers are based in France

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    ^^^ Exactly. The reason they serve seem quebec citizens is because they speak french. They tell US citizens that they are unable to guarantee perfromance which is BS considering they serve Quebec. Along with free health care, this is just one more reason to head north, eh?
    See ya in another life, brother.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Dont use US seedboxes...search about hosting ie...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Sanka, I think I'm going to try out your Visa Gift Card trick to get around the OVH France address check. In fact, I see many applications for that type of thing.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try out Kimsufi for 1 month to see how I like it. It's a lot cheaper than even Hosting-IE. If I don't like it, then I'll look into Hosting IE and others, but I have a feeling it will suit my needs quite well.

Thanks a lot to everyone, as I think I've got the information I need!
    Last edited by chip19; 03-26-2008 at 07:18 PM.