Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how important is retention to you?

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    Retention means nothing to me. I don't grab anything that isn't fresh and I don't really think it is that cool to have X number of torrents with almost no action.
    there are alot of games i decide i want to try long after they are released. finding a site that has them at a decent speed is a godsend...otherwise i have to rapidshare them
    I play COD4 and I barely have enough time for that. As for movies/music/etc. I honestly couldn't name something I really want, so I just grab whatever gets upped that I want.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    even for movies rentention is not very usefull...

what's the point in having a CAM there since ages when there's already out a bluray rip?

imho on 0day trackers retentions does not interest, on specialized trackers (music, hd, tv and so on) retention is everything...

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Retention would be vitally important if a tracker does not have a request option, but to a lesser extent torrents are actively seeded and requests are fulfilled. Retention is very important for me as I frequently look for "odd" contents and most are old, not 0day, so I would love to have my trackers retain contents as long as possible.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
    so I would love to have my trackers retain contents as long as possible.
    there are few trackers that force deletion of old rls (like torrentbytes)... in all the other cases it's all up to the users (that must keep seeding) and not to tracker admins

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    I can't even begin to tell you how important "retention" is. KG is a fine example of this.Snatched a flick that was added a year back as the torrent wasn't removed from the tracker. Also grabbed episodes of Forensic files off T2H(gem of a site btw) that were added long time back and those episodes are of great value to me as i'm so intrigued by forensics and the show rocks my socks off.Think i'm gonna bump my thread again,heh.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    eatpepsi's Avatar Veni, vidi, vici BT Rep: +4
    For even 0-day tracker retention hs to be an important factor.. Theres no point in flushing down old torrents just to accomodate new ones..

Anyways doesnt affect me.. For old downloads - RS is the way
    - Prayer must never be answered: if it is, it ceases to be prayer and becomes correspondence. -

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    0-day is called 0-day for a reason. I could care less about how long a site keeps them, I snatch everything when its fresh.

However for sites that specialize in tv packs or music, retention is my #1 issue. Thats the great thing about trackers like bitmetv and oink (rip). Often times a torrent will actually gain strength over time.. which is pretty awesome.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    eatpepsi's Avatar Veni, vidi, vici BT Rep: +4
    At time u wanna find a movie that is not older than say 6 months.. You cant find it on 0-day these days..

KG doesnt accomodate Mainstream cinema... You have to turn to public tracker in that situation..

Anyways as long as RS is there no prob
    - Prayer must never be answered: if it is, it ceases to be prayer and becomes correspondence. -

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    imo this is the big drawback of torrents as a filesharing form. especially on a private tracker where ratio and hit and runs count against/for you.

some trackers like to have great retention, but that usually means slow download speeds and impossible to seed it back without seeding it yourself for a year or so.

others like fast releases, with fast speeds and if in 30 days you havnt got it, or even got a 1 ratio on it, tough, its gets deleted from the tracker regardless.

We are trying to be a mixture of the 2. One stop shop for everything, and even a torrent thats a year old, you can still get good download speeds on and as long as you keep seeding it for awhile (a week ish) you can get a 1 ratio on it.

this is why the SP mod limits your seeding slots to get SP, so you can upload as fast as possible on that torrent.

Personally, if a torrent is a year old and its got 1 seed, and that seed is seeding 400 torrents and only giving 1KBs to that torrent, then i would prefer for that seed to come off it. at least then the leech can ask for a reseed (if there is 1 seed on it they cant) or we can delete it off the tracker and someone with a fast upload can reupload it.

we also dont want members to be scared of downloading old torrents, thinking they will be stuck on it for months/years trying not to get a hit and run, and just keeping it alive for the very reason, they have no interest in seeding it (at a reasonable pace), they just dont want a hit and run.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    alot of people say content and speeds are important....even pretimes. but how important is retention. some trackers get rid of torrents very quickly some will keep them for a good amount of time as long as somebody is seeding it. this is one of the key factors for me when deciding how i really feel about a tracker
    i dont care much abouth retention,as long they new torrents keep comeing

but anyway from where i leech retention is no problem

for me content is in the first place,then speed ect..ect

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast