Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Progams Installed?

Originally posted by Sparsely@5 August 2003 - 09:17

How long does it take, when you hover on programs, to show all those little folders?
    That's not as bad as people with 100 desktop icons, though. That really gets under my skin.
    How can I organize my start menu like this?
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Triadcool@ 5 August 2003 - 16:27
    How can I organize my start menu like this?
    Drag and drop (left click and hold) any shortcut to wherever you want it on the start menu.

To create a new folder in the start menu, right click on your Start Button and select Explore. Your Start menu will now be displayed in Explorer.

Here you can create a new folder which will appear above the programs subfolder, like Sparsely&#39;s &#39;web stuff&#39; folder.

Or, if you click on programs and create a new folder there, as you see with Sparsely&#39;s &#39;HP Photosmart folder, it will appear in the programs folder.

Sparsely has his start menu in the classic style, with Small icons. To do this, right click on your taskbar and select properties. Select Classic Start Menu, then customize and select show small icons in start menu

Personally i think Sparsely&#39;s start menu looks like nightmare, but then i am so fussy when it comes to my own. No offence Sparsely.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    FYI you can right click on programs (in the start menu) and click Explore you can view and edit the start menu as if it was any other folder on the computer
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by ObiWan@ 5 August 2003 - 20:34
    FYI you can right click on programs (in the start menu) and click Explore you can view and edit the start menu as if it was any other folder on the computer
    Exactly what i said. Right clicking on either start or programs will have the same effect.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Not on my system.

Only 41 of 300 or so programs are shown there. As I said earlier, I have no idea why.
    It&#39;s set to show all files, nothing hidden.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    No, the icons don&#39;t all appear in explorer; don&#39;t know why. Create folders in explorer, then drag and drop the icons to the newly created folders in the start menu.

You can also create subfolders, folders in folders, and so on. For example, i have a folder which is divided for all manuals, release notes, read me files, config apps., and any other crap that you get on your start menu when you install an app. but rarely use. That way, they&#39;re all together if you need them, but out the way all the rest of the time.

Good Luck. Looks like you&#39;ve got some tidying up to do. Post us a screenshot when you&#39;re done......

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by LiquidAcid
    Personally i think Sparsely&#39;s start menu looks like nightmare, but then i am so fussy when it comes to my own
    /me is fussy too&#33; But I know where everything is...
    There are also subfolders in those folders. Like, in System Tools there&#39;s &#092;Administrative Tools, and &#092;Uninstallers,
    etc.
    Games has &#092;Online Games, and &#092;Card Games. Accessories has &#092;Office Tools, &#092;Help Files, and &#092;Accessibility....
    well, you get the picture.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 00:26
    Not on my system.

Only 41 of 300 or so programs are shown there. As I said earlier, I have no idea why.
    It&#39;s set to show all files, nothing hidden.
    make sure u check what user u are in.
    some programs use all users and some install for each user (I think)
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Originally posted by ObiWan@6 August 2003 - 21:58
    make sure u check what user u are in.
    some programs use all users and some install for each user (I think)
    Yeah make sure your logged in as the administrator...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    That&#39;s all there is, no users. It&#39;s win2k advanced server.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast