Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deliberately Starting Fires

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    OK,

It's very hot in Europe at the moment, everywhere is tinderbox-dry.

In the last couple of weeks there have been serious forest fires in the south of france, a most beautiful part of the world, resulting in at least 4 deaths. Many of these fires were thought to be started deliberately.

This week there is a similar story in Portugal, at least 9 people have died, and thousands of acres of land destroyed. Again, the majority of these fires are thought to have been deliberately started.

Alot of the devastating fires around Sydney, Australia last year were deliberately started too. I just don't understand the psyche of the people who do this, all I know is as far as I am concerned they should face the severest punishments allowable.

What happened this week is tantamount to murder, but even if no deaths occurred, starting fires in those conditions is such a heinous act of vandalism and wanton destruction, I don't think a description has even been coined for the scale of the crime and the damage to the global environment.

What does everyone think?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by barbarossa@5 August 2003 - 11:24
    OK,

It's very hot in Europe at the moment, everywhere is tinderbox-dry.

In the last couple of weeks there have been serious forest fires in the south of france, a most beautiful part of the world, resulting in at least 4 deaths. Many of these fires were thought to be started deliberately.

This week there is a similar story in Portugal, at least 9 people have died, and thousands of acres of land destroyed. Again, the majority of these fires are thought to have been deliberately started.

Alot of the devastating fires around Sydney, Australia last year were deliberately started too. I just don't understand the psyche of the people who do this, all I know is as far as I am concerned they should face the severest punishments allowable.

What happened this week is tantamount to murder, but even if no deaths occurred, starting fires in those conditions is such a heinous act of vandalism and wanton destruction, I don't think a description has even been coined for the scale of the crime and the damage to the global environment.

What does everyone think?
    capital punishment
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:22 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    You missed out the fires in Canada, where 1000's have been evacuated.

If there are deaths, then they should be charged with murder.

If their arent, they should be charged with the distruction of the $xxx worth of public property, animal cruelty, charged with the cost of putting the fires out..etc etc etc etc

Throw the book at them.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@5 August 2003 - 17:59
    You missed out the fires in Canada, where 1000's have been evacuated.

If their arent, they should be charged with the distruction of the $xxx worth of public property, animal cruelty, charged with the cost of putting the fires out..etc etc etc etc

Throw the book at them.
    dude, it's 10,000 not 1000

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?...00-218411EE8460

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+5 August 2003 - 21:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 5 August 2003 - 21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@5 August 2003 - 17:59
    You missed out the fires in Canada, where 1000&#39;s have been evacuated.

If their arent, they should be charged with the distruction of the &#036;xxx worth of public property, animal cruelty, charged with the cost of putting the fires out..etc etc etc etc

Throw the book at them.
    dude, it&#39;s 10,000 not 1000

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?...00-218411EE8460 [/b][/quote]
    I said 1000&#39;s as i didnt know the number.

Note the "s"...indicates multiples of.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Yes, a good portion of British Columbia is ablaze.

I don&#39;t think charging people with murder is a very good idea, considering how vague the term "deliberately set" is. I&#39;ve seen reports of fires being deliberate when, in fact, they are accidental. There&#39;s the improper snuffing of campfires and of cigarette butts, there&#39;s also the brake spark danger for places near highways. I&#39;ve only heard of one forest fire being deliberately set, and that was by the retarded son of a fireman. Plus, it wasn&#39;t deliberately set to become a huge wildfire.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Well, some of the notorious 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires in South Australia were started by a member of the CFS (Country Fire Service) who also happened to be a pyromaniac.

He set the fires with a homemade match gun while out on a solo firewatch patrol or something... I don&#39;t remember all the details, but he is at least partially responsible for the deaths of around 20 people. Some of those people were also firefighters who got trapped by the fire when the wind changed direction.

You cant get more proof of premeditated intention of deliberately setting a fire than getting caught with a match gun in your possession.

The CFS is the main reason that a great deal of Australia doesn&#39;t go up in smoke every summer, and it&#39;s mostly made up of volunteers. That guy not only ruined a lot of lives, he also smeared the good name of a respected aussie institution.

Thankfully, he was caught and locked up, but no jail sentence will ever bring back the loss of life, livestock and property.

I think he should hang for what he did.. it would save the taxpayers a bundle of money instead of paying for him to serve a life sentence in prison, for one thing.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by barbarossa@5 August 2003 - 04:24
    Right after the Tour de France, too. Some ultra-nationalistic person mad that the TdF wasn't won by a Frenchman?
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:23 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@5 August 2003 - 12:19
    capital punishment
    Your kidding right?

Capital Punishment for deliberately starting fires?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Also, it&#39;s important to know that forest fires need to burn in order to clear the dead branches and overgrowth in forests. If regular burns happen, they are likely to be small burns. If regular burns don&#39;t happen, big huge fires are the result because all that overgrowth/dead trees burn up all at once.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast