Thread: Suitable Firewall and Antivirus for Seedbox

Question Mark

Hello everybody.

I have rented a seedbox with the following relevant specs:
    VPS Windows 2003
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    512 MB

My questions are:
    1. Which firewall and antivirus softwares to use with windows 2003 with 512 MB RAM(about 300 MB free now with other applications running), which are resource friendly . I tried installing a few but their services won't start due to some OS configurations.
    2. After the firewall starts won't it block the remote desktop connection via which I am connected to the server? How to go around that problem, I mean how to allow the incoming connection before starting the firewall?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Regards

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    None.

As you will never execute anything, or install anything you have downloaded on your seedbox, it is just a way of transferring files which after all will remain in their propriety format, then they are not needed.

Anything you do want to install check on your home PC first that it is ok & clean, then FTP to your seedbox, but the only things are trivial stuff like PAR2 repair & winrar & a NG client maybe?

There is already a "hardware" firewall, you are running on a box on a server in a data centre,so nothing gets in, and you have no need to forward any ports, all ports are open.

And great lurking skills you have
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    NOD32 is a good anti-virus program, uses very little cpu&ram.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    None.

As you will never execute anything, or install anything you have downloaded on your seedbox, it is just a way of transferring files which after all will remain in their propriety format, then they are not needed.

Anything you do want to install check on your home PC first that it is ok & clean, then FTP to your seedbox, but the only things are trivial stuff like PAR2 repair & winrar & a NG client maybe?

There is already a "hardware" firewall, you are running on a box on a server in a data centre,so nothing gets in, and you have no need to forward any ports, all ports are open.

And great lurking skills you have

Thanks Major!! Cleared up most of my doubts. Will now sleep more peacefully.

@Sabre: Thanks for the suggestion.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    M3nn0's Avatar FST Lover BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i think majors post says enough, thnx! i was about to ask it here

Arguing online is like the special olympics, even if you win you're still a retard.