Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Files from Seedbox to Home PC

chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    I got a seedbox from shinjiru and I am extremely happy with its speeds for the price. I only had $50 to spend for one month, and it was pretty much the only one out there that was that cheap (Hosting IE costs more than that with setup fee, and I can't get Kimsufi since I don't live in France) while still having a decent HD and RAM (50GB and 768MB respectively). Also, I like how they don't gather your details like name and address - it's anonymous.

The problem is transferring files to my home PC. It seems that the upload speeds to the US are terrible. I find this odd since it has been able to upload 10mbps in uTorrent... maybe because there was a peer closer to its Malaysia location? I can only download from it at like 150KB/sec with FTP, which is absolutely unacceptable. A couple hours for a TV episode? No way I can deal with that. Any thoughts on how I can improve speeds?

I was thinking of creating my own torrents and transferring it that way, but I don't know if that will do anything.

I'm thinking there isn't any solution to this - that I'll just need to find another host that has good speeds with US. But I figured I'd ask the experts here before I got all frazzled, as I do like Shinjiru for everything else (they had me up and running in 12 hours, and like I said down/up in uTorrent are great).

2. BitTorrent   -   #2

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    If the files or in original .rar format, open up more connections. Then you'll get a couple of files at 150kb/s. What are you using for your client?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I use bitkinex a lot and it allows multiple connections and/or parts. I regularly transfer stuff between europe and the states at 100mbps with it.

www.bitkinex.com

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    will17, I did have two simultaneous files going at 150 KB/sec. If I could somehow get all 12 files from a TV season going at 150 KB/sec, I would be happy. I'll see if I can change my amount of connections in FileZilla to more than two, see if I still get the 150.

Server has vsftpd with stock settings (from CentOS 4 RPM package).

Client has FileZilla 3 on Windows Vista.

I have found FZ to be quite fast for uploading to my website. However, I never downloaded with it so I'm not sure how it works.

I'll look into the two clients posted here tomorrow and let you know if I notice an increase in speed. Thanks.

Any ideas for FTP server-side optimization?
    Last edited by chip19; 03-31-2008 at 03:21 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I just use the stock settings on the server end. In filezilla go to EDIT, SETTINGS then TRANSFERS. You should see the setting under concurrent transfers. See how many you can open before it drops below 150kb/s per file... thats the sweet spot.

You'll have to change the maximum as well.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    No offense, but for rough $12-15 a month more you could have got a raptor + from hosting ie with unlimited bandwidth. 1 Tb goes fast if you've got a fast connection. The setup cost is $20 for one month and $10 if you pay for 3 months.
    See ya in another life, brother.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chip19 View Post
    I got a seedbox from shinjiru and I am extremely happy with its speeds for the price. I only had $50 to spend for one month, and it was pretty much the only one out there that was that cheap (Hosting IE costs more than that with setup fee, and I can't get Kimsufi since I don't live in France) while still having a decent HD and RAM (50GB and 768MB respectively). Also, I like how they don't gather your details like name and address - it's anonymous.

The problem is transferring files to my home PC. It seems that the upload speeds to the US are terrible. I find this odd since it has been able to upload 10mbps in uTorrent... maybe because there was a peer closer to its Malaysia location? I can only download from it at like 150KB/sec with FTP, which is absolutely unacceptable. A couple hours for a TV episode? No way I can deal with that. Any thoughts on how I can improve speeds?

I was thinking of creating my own torrents and transferring it that way, but I don't know if that will do anything.

I'm thinking there isn't any solution to this - that I'll just need to find another host that has good speeds with US. But I figured I'd ask the experts here before I got all frazzled, as I do like Shinjiru for everything else (they had me up and running in 12 hours, and like I said down/up in uTorrent are great).

One thing you didn't say what is you home speed

Just guessing but if your downloading at 150 kps I would say

you have 2 megs down?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Sanka, I understand I didn't get the best value but I literally only had fifty dollars... Not a cent more and paycheck two weeks away. This is just a test anyway. I am just learning... Not getting anyhing long term.

Dman, my home download speed is 10mbps. I max at 850 with torrents and 950 with HTTP. So 150 on FTP seems like there's a bottleneck somewhere else.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Did you ping your seedbox IP .

Maybe a bottle neck from Asia to you.

Did you put a ticket in with them.

I had hosting-Ie vps and I would get max speed 15 megs down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast