Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robo Cop

Hi Guys , has anyone seen the new Robocop yet? Is it as good as the first?? Im off to cinema to watch Monday and cant wait

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAmos View Post
    Hi Guys , has anyone seen the new Robocop yet? Is it as good as the first?? Im off to cinema to watch Monday and cant wait
    The original is a goddamn masterpiece.

Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down. Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

A Christ allegory meets a Fangoria nerd's wet dream with Verhoeven's subversionary direction. I mean the commentary on Detroit seems frighteningly prophetic now.

Versus some PG13 CG fare. It'll shit the bed just like the abyssmal and wholly unecessary Total Recall '12. That just leaves Starship Troopers.

EDIT: Totally forgot Basil Poledouris's score.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 02-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down.
    No wonder there was a sense of pleasure seeing him get the crap beat out of him.

Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

A Christ allegory meets a Fangoria nerd's wet dream with Verhoeven's subversionary direction. I mean the commentary on Detroit seems frighteningly prophetic now.
    Very nice eval, p!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Usenetfreak
    I watched it already, general can tell that the movie is nice to watch. Leaved my long review here

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAmos View Post
    The original is a goddamn masterpiece.

Peter Weller studied mime under a Julliard instructor to get Robo's movements down. Rob Bottin, fx god responsible for Thing '82 handled makeup on the original. You can thank Phil Tippet, greatest stop motion animator since Harryhausen, for ED209 (and Cain, the only good thing about Robocop 2). You have a wonderfully realised rogues' gallery helmed by Kurtwood Smith's performance and dialog. That's a fucking pedigree.

Versus some PG13 CG fare. It'll shit the bed just like the abyssmal and wholly unecessary Total Recall '12. That just leaves Starship Troopers.

EDIT: Totally forgot Basil Poledouris's score.
    This.

And Hollywood needs to stop. remaking. movies. It's fucking irritating.

Also, I refuse to even give this new remake a chance if it doesn't have the "I'd buy that for a dollar" creep.

yo

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentus View Post
    I watched it already, general can tell that the movie is nice to watch. Leaved my long review here

... with better CGI and sound effects, making them cooler, stylish and more entertaining than the original.

Unless the trailer totally misrepresents the movie,which considering how trailers work nowadays that is entirely possible, I would say that the "update" likely rips the beating heart from the story and replaces it with a bunch of special effects and loud noise.

Oh sorry,you just said that.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Thanks meg, it's obviously a film close to my heart. I'm not totally averse to remakes. Carpenter's Thing supplants the Hawks original in every way. I like Savini's remake of NotLD. Snyder's Dawn of the Dead isn't terrible. But that's a decade removed, and Romero totally fell off.

New RoboCop's PG13 would indicate they're vying for a wider audience. Why not make Murphy a woman? Just something new or unique. Something.

I am glad Michael Keaton's eyebrows are getting work again. I hope the new Beetlejuice doesn't disappoint.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 02-09-2014 at 02:15 AM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    pythoncancer's Avatar Poster
    My only complain why PG13. Ruined all the fun that made first Classic .Hollywood need to be innovative .Why not release two versions of same movie.May be in different timing on same screen if can`t afford two separate screens .Unrated R and PG13

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by pythoncancer View Post
    My only complain why PG13. Ruined all the fun that made first Classic .Hollywood need to be innovative .Why not release two versions of same movie.May be in different timing on same screen if can`t afford two separate screens .Unrated R and PG13
    This won't be done because no one would opt to see a censored version, and (more importantly) movie studios LOVE being in control of what we watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    I refuse to even watch it. Its not like they are gonna ever be able to make a better movie. The movie RoboCop has been made and seen and it will continue to be watched long after this defilement has passed.

Basically, they are just trying to milk an old dried up teet and I'm not gonna encourage such behavior. Ought to be off trying to make original movies. But hey, this certainly doesn't surprise me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast