Thread: Possible To Partition A Drive Without Losing Data?

kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    can you partition a drive that already has an o/s on it? if so, can any partition software be used?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    yes, Partition magic will alllow you to do it. Just make sure your HDD is well defragmented first

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Partition Magic is certainly one of if not the best programs.Acronis Disk Director is another.Both are relatively easy to use.
    Just be aware no program is perfect and there remains a small possibility that you could still lose files.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Partition Magic is certainly one of if not the best programs.Acronis Disk Director is another.Both are relatively easy to use.
    Just be aware no program is perfect and there remains a small possibility that you could still lose files.
    +1

If in doubt .. make a backup. I have used Partition Magic and its been great for repartitioning.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    pifpaf's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Partition magic 8...but remember to backup your data.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Septimus's Avatar -- Nicolas -- BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Partition magic.... or you can do it if you install again windows

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I used Acronis Disk Suite. Worked like a charm, on the fly. ( I had to extend the active (system) - partition from 40 Gigabyte to 80 Gigabyte. The other one ("d") had 600 Gigabyte, so there was enough place to be allocated.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    If using Windows Vista it is very easy to with no extra applications.
    Simply right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Within that window on the left hand side there is an option like Disk Management or something. Click on that and you can partition easily right there.

I do not think Partition Magic is compatable with Vista, but I could be wrong. Either way it is not needed if using Vista.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I've lost my install/data twice doing this

I have used it around 20 times so I guess the success rate os good