Thread: port-forwarding

akshunj's Avatar Member
    Recently I read that port forwarding was overrated as a bittorrent performance enhancer. Specifically the article said that without port-forwarding the bittorrent client must use the tracker to locate peers, but after the connection is established, performance should be fine. (Obviously DHT would not work.)

Is this true? I use Azureus, and although I have not conducted any scientific tests, I've always thought port-forwarding yielded the best results. Thoughts?

--Akshun J

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    If you don't forward your ports in your router, you will have a great difficulty in using other applications. Perhaps you might state the source, that way it will be easier to understand; right?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    If you don't forward your ports you could still download at the full speed but you will have a hard time uploading at your full speed causing you to have a hard time maintaining your ratio at sites that require it.

For an old example on why you should forward your ports but still relevant take a look at the link below.

http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Another thing, if you don't have a port forwarded and another peer doesn't either the two of you will not be able to connect to each other.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    phrenzy's Avatar Baked BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I am not connectable and can still up and down at full speed w/o issue.... Personally I think the only way it truly helps you is when you upload and seed your own torrent....

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    akshunj's Avatar Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    If you don't forward your ports in your router, you will have a great difficulty in using other applications. Perhaps you might state the source, that way it will be easier to understand; right?

I can't find the source again, but here's the gist. It said that port-forwarding was only really helpful for DHT or if the tracker is down. Otherwise it doesn't really enhance transfers significantly. Just looking for some insight into how true this is.

From the other replies the thread has gotten, it sounds like some think it can impact upload speed (thus, the almighty share ratio), while another doesn't see the impact at all. Any other thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

--Akshun J

By the way, thewizeard, what apps will have difficulty if I don't use port-forwarding?

Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    If you don't forward your ports you could still download at the full speed but you will have a hard time uploading at your full speed causing you to have a hard time maintaining your ratio at sites that require it.

For an old example on why you should forward your ports but still relevant take a look at the link below.

http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html
    Actually, the above link says it all. Just what I needed to know. Thanks!

--Akshun J
    Last edited by akshunj; 04-03-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost