Thread: Internet Satellite Connection

jonathan_tijuana's Avatar ...
    i would like to change my internet conection and i would like satellite, i found one that it's $600 to begin and $60 per month and the speed is 500kpbs, anyone know if there is anyother cheaper that this one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    satalite internets have a big ping, or delay, they may be fast, but it takes them longer to comunicate, ir get started, and alot of them use dialup modem for the sending data and the satalite to receive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    but the thing is that here where i live there are only two companies that provedes internet the one that i have that is cable and it sucks and the one via phone so my best option is satellite

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    the one that i have that is cable and it sucks
    What an inane statement. Cable is far superior and cheaper than any sort of satellite internet connection.

For the record. While there are satellite ISPs that offer standard dial-up connections I believe you are asking about broadband service. These are 2 very different services and not to be confused with what Livy has stated.

The ping rate issue only applies to broadband satellite service providers and can be a problem if you're into online gaming. For standard uses(i.e surfing, downloading, etc.) it is fine. The drawback is the price. It is substantially higher than other forms of broadband connectivity.

Stick with the cable if possible. The price difference(1/2 of satellite service offered in my area) makes it a completely viable option.

I believe problems associated with cable broadband are on the part of the user in most cases. More info from you may change my opinion though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i know cable is very fast in the us but here where i live really sucks, i'm not the only one that thinks that there are a lot of people. the problem is that the service is saturated.