Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this a good car trade?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Both cars look purple to me.

Are no interior door handles street legal in Merkinland btw?
    I'd wager that no country has a law which requires door handles on the inside of the rear doors.

yo

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Both cars look purple to me.

Are no interior door handles street legal in Merkinland btw?
    I'd wager that no country has a law which requires door handles on the inside of the rear doors.
    Fair point - never noticed it was just the back doors.

Do your cars have to undergo an annual health check?

We have to pay $70 dollars a year for cars over 3 years old to ensure they are roadworthy. If the car fails it must be repaired before a certificate is issued

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-test.asp
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Each state has their own independent laws, but most are relatively similar I think.

In Texas we have to pay title taxes (registration). That cost is determined by the weight of the vehicle. I have a 4-door truck and pay around $70, once a year.

We also are required to have the vehicle inspected yearly. That used to just require that the tires have a certain amount of tread, windshield wipers in working condition, blinkers work, etc...but now we have an emissions test tacked on as well which has double the cost. They hook up a hose to your exhaust and test the emissions at an idle speed, then at around 1000 and 2500 RPMs or something.

New vehicles come with an inspection sticker which is good for 2 years though.

My parents have a vacation home in New Mexico their laws are slightly different.

Registration is the same, except they offer a lifetime registration fee. For a truck like mine it would probably run around $300-350. That's worth it if you ask me.

They do not have any state inspection whatsoever though.

yo

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Our annual test has grown over the years and very little isn't covered these days - lights, steering, suspension, wheel bearings, emissions, tyres etc.

On the plus side one rarely sees clapped out bangers limping around the roads anymore.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Our annual test has grown over the years and very little isn't covered these days - lights, steering, suspension, wheel bearings, emissions, tyres etc.

On the plus side one rarely sees clapped out bangers limping around the roads anymore.
    Sounds like yours is a bit more rigorous with the wheel bearing and whatnot.

Not everyone in Texas has to submit to the emissions testing either. It's the urban areas that require it. I'm in Travis county -

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/

For a pickup, this would be the criteria -

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go

yo

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2

Mine once failed because the spacing of the letters on my reg plate was illegal. True story.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

7. Lounge   -   #17
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    lmao at the prince thing. i mean it has no handles to hold onto. it has the handles where you can open the door.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post

Mine once failed because the spacing of the letters on my reg plate was illegal. True story.
    Had you drawn it yourself, lyke?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post

Had you drawn it yourself, lyke?
    no, but that would be lulz.

"BO!1!*"

*plus a pirate flag or something

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12