Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ehh Dropped My Hard Drive.. N I Need Some Help Now

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@6 August 2003 - 21:43
    MadDog-2000 is exactly right. If it dropped 4 feet forget about it.  Drives are very sensitive to mechanical shock.

Fixing a damaged harddrive is not possible. (at least not within any reasonable price range.) It would need to be fixed in a completely dust free environment like this cleanroom:

As soon as you would open the cover of a harddrive in 'normal' air it would be useless even if it was brand new.
    Where exactly is that ?

It looks more like one of the biohazard rooms at CDC.

But I bet it isn't as buggy as a hard drive that's dropped 4 feet.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by "lynx Posted on 6 August 2003 - 19:50"

Where exactly is that ?

But I bet it isn't as buggy as a hard drive that's dropped 4 feet.
    That looks to me like a standard clean room, which is often used by hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Seagate, Maxtor and National Semiconductor. They all require 100% clean and dust free rooms because they are working with sensitive hardware. Many also work with devices on a microscopic scale, which means one dust particle, hair folicle or skin cell can destroy a hard drive or micro processor.

They may look like HazMat suits but they are intended to keep the "workers" from messing up that clean environment. It's obvious that they are not working at the CDC because they are not wearing air filters or oxygen supply hoses, which are required in labs where they handle viruses and dangerous biologial agents.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000+7 August 2003 - 05:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 @ 7 August 2003 - 05:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-"lynx Posted on 6 August 2003 - 19:50"

Where exactly is that ?

But I bet it isn&#39;t as buggy as a hard drive that&#39;s dropped 4 feet.
    That looks to me like a standard clean room, which is often used by hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Seagate, Maxtor and National Semiconductor. They all require 100% clean and dust free rooms because they are working with sensitive hardware. Many also work with devices on a microscopic scale, which means one dust particle, hair folicle or skin cell can destroy a hard drive or micro processor.

They may look like HazMat suits but they are intended to keep the "workers" from messing up that clean environment. It&#39;s obvious that they are not working at the CDC because they are not wearing air filters or oxygen supply hoses, which are required in labs where they handle viruses and dangerous biologial agents. [/b][/quote]
    Yes, I know, I was only trying a windup on Somebody.

Anyway, surely hard drives are assembled by machines these days. I understood they are put together in cleanish environments, then &#39;cleaned&#39; immediately before the unit is sealed.

But I understand your point, particularly with regard to silicon wafers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    To temporarly fix the problem for a few minutes (to get the data off and onto a different drive).. put it in a freezer bag (make sure it&#39;s seeled tight), and let it sit in there for about 10-20 mins. Now take it out and see if it works.
    My old hd broke here and this technique helped me back the data off it.

It had condensation and didnt short out during the data backup process. ^_^

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    heh i got off all the data and cleared the hard drive w/ partition magic... now it can store files but putting an os in it is hard... ....

fat - 2gbs
    fat32 or nfts - 4gbs space ... i would say good for a few movies lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12