Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Giveaway's, Trading Invites

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    benchez is right. i would never invite someone with 50+ rep points.

90% of them are traders and the other 10% throw around accounts and invites to random people.

all you guys who think that a lot of rep points open the doors to high level trackers - you are very wrong.

earn trust and respect, that will make people invite you.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    both benchez and polarbear are right
    earn trust and respect

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    So you say the Rep points are trading points. So all the rep points o have are from trading? Geez i never traded and never will, so how did i get the rep points? Anyway i see the rep points more as a "Help points" instead of what you say "trade points". But everyone has different opinions.

They are not specifically trade points, but definitely not ''Help points''

Giving A Point To A Member
    • Points can be given to those who give free invites.
    • Points can be given to those you make trades with.

If you are giving them for people being helpful you are breaking the rule.
    Now go away.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Blistered's Avatar Random Person
    Hmm. I do understand your point, but I think by default and the whole nature and excitement of gaining access to a 'high level tracker' after a generous giveaway, more often than not the user will want to treat that account well, get the content they hoped for and keep the ratio up. I would never deny that there are idiots who will abuse an account for fun or just use it to push their way up the 'levels' but I honestly think that the whole satisfaction of getting an invite logically means most users will treat that account well and gratefully.

In conclusion, I think that giveaways, though never without risk, are actually a really nice part of the torrent community and can produce very positive and valued users to a community. And if it weren't for giveaways, then I wouldn't have access to some great trackers that alternatively I would have missed out on. And as we speak I have my torrent client open seeding relentlessly trying to up my ratio on some of these trackers as not to lose my access!

Why would you want to lose access to something you waited so long to get into? To me, it's just logical for the standard user here.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Another thing:

Quite honestly, I don't make standalone request threads, and probably never will because every invite that i get IS from a giveaway. Giveaways are the only time that I feel that it is ok to ask for an account.

I mean idk about most of you, but for the guys I consider "friends" I don't ask them for invites, and they even mention them to them. Through a giveaway is the only time is the only time they know that, oh, Sanka needed an invite to XYZ, why didn't he ask? Well,I just don't do that.

Now lets, talk about low level giveaways. Now some of them, make that most of them, are merely for rep points. For me, i gave low level invites away because thats all I had. Seeing all the giveaways that are done daily in conjunction to all the stuff I got though giveaways, gave me the urge to give back what I could, even if it wasn't much. As I've become more experienced I've got better trackers and with those trackers came better but slightly more strict giveaways.

Like I said before, I use giveaways to find me a hopefully experienced and kind field of candidates. If I don't find anybody that is suitable, i simply just don't give out the invite.

Giveaways, are a little more complex than trading in that it's hard to gage what the intentions of the giveaway is. Is it to rep up? Is it to help cover your trading dirt? is it because you have a bunch of low level invites thats you don't need? is it because as an experienced member all your "friends" have those invites already? or is it because you actually want to give back to a community that has given so much to you?

In the end it all just matters on the person giving it. If any of you anti givers were a part of a closed bittorrent community, you'd see how true giving works. We don't operate on rep points, we operate on just supporting our community. Whats wrong with doing that here?

Thanks for reading!
    See ya in another life, brother.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    well,
    Let's be fair here.
    1- the rep point system here really needs some mending.cause you can't differ between people who earn their points from trading or from helping other members out.
    i got some of my rep points from helping ppl out not for giving away invites but from giving away advice when it needed.
    2-giving away invites can be a bad thing if and only if the trackers staff handing out invites to people who they think they deserve it and make it known that they are doing that.
    this way giving away invites will lost its purpose but trackers stuff coming here saying giveaways are wrong and a bad thing and they don't do anything except of baning members who made public giveaways.
    3-trading whatever it is,is the most dangerous threat to any private trackers.it will bring cheaters and scamers and more it will destroy the concept of security and privacy that these trackers are founded up on in the first place.

For Serving Community

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    I completely agree in that i think it's no big deal to give away lower level often open sign up trackers. Even if they aren't open sign up they flood you with so many invites that its impossible to get rid of them all.

Now, with upper level trackers I don't always know what people that I know are good FST'ers need. I use giveaways to find out want my friends and other good FST need.

Most people understand that with a higher level invite they gotta do all they can to make sure they invite a higher level user. For the most part for upper level giveaways alot of members do a good job looking for good users and not giving them away blindly.
    Higher level doesnt mean its a better tracker than a lower level one.

this is what pisses me off, ah well that tracker has 50,000 members, doesnt matter if they get any more scum in, i can invite who i like and even those i dont like, But.. this tracker only has 1,000 members i better be really picky and choosy who i invite to this tracker.

Higher level just means they want more security, not that they dont want noobs in, they probably would welcome the odd noob now and again tbh.

the lvls are shit and give the wrong impression completely about what tracker staff of those trackers want. the lvl 9 trackers are not trying to be elitist, and only ever get member`s that have been in the torrenting scene for years in (christ someone thats been torrenting for a day, can know just as much if not more than someone thats been torrenting for 5 years, its not rocket science). they just want security (wehter thats right or wrong is up to them).

Other trackers want to make a huge community, loads of seeds/peers and snatches on the torrents (as thats what filesharing is all about, to share) but also have good members in that lot, they have got the 300,000 noobs in in a year and taught them how to do it, or chucked them out if they didnt listen, but they want just as good members as those that are lvl 9.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    anto's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

90% of them are traders and the other 10% throw around accounts and invites to random people.

all you guys who think that a lot of rep points open the doors to high level trackers - you are very wrong.

i agree even doh i don't have 50+ rep points i have been given invites to site's and i keep up my ratio

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Invites are meant to be given out to friends and to people you trust, not to some random stranger. Nor are they meant to be traded for other invites.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by anto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

i agree even doh i don't have 50+ rep points i have been given invites to site's and i keep up my ratio
    this has nothing to do with ratio

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast