Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msconfig In Windows 2000 Server

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I heard somewhere that you can copy the xp msconfig.exe to the system root folder of 2000 server and it will work. If not, how can I disable programs from starting up at boot in 2000 server like I can in xp, besides deleting from the startup folder, their not always there.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Windows_NT~2000_Tools.htm

Paste it into your shortcuts folder or leave it on the desktop.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Thanks, it worked!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    So... decided to give the real thing a go did ya?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Yep, since I coulnt get a real working key for 2k3 server. The one I had was just for a year so I decided to give 2000 a try. Plus it seems they dont offer updates for 2k3 anymore, the beta at least.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You got the server? which version? Noticed a speed increase?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Well on my workstation that I had xp on I just switched it to 2000 server, but Its only standard edition. And compared to the xp that I was running I have noticed a dramatic increase in speed, stability, and of course performance. As I install more apps Ill see how long this advantage last. I think enterprise edition would be a little slower compared to this. But then again, this is actually my first time using a windows server o.s. as a workstation. Im so use to using linux as a server and workstation.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Have you seen my post about too many programs installed? I think it'll take pretty much any thing you can throw at it.

Let me know early next month if you want an administrator copy of win2k advanced server. I've got one that comes with 5 or 10 CAL's No key needed, no bullshit.

I've about blown my cap for large files this month already but I'll reserve a bit if you want it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Ok, Ill send you a pm next month and download it from you if you still have it. btw, are those cals per seat or per server.

Thanks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I'm not too sure, It'd be the same as the server 2003 5 cal licence that comes with the trial I think. If I recall, it can be both though. You just can't change it later.

Do you have url scan installed yet? the URL filter is a real good idea along with ISS lockdown. Keep an eye on the w3svc1 logs in system32/logfiles when you run the server and you'll see how well it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast