Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telnet

Poster
    That would likely be your default gateway or the DNS server showing it's IP. Sometimes referred to as a downstream proxie i think.
    It's still a bit close to home though, enough to clue someone in if you were trying to pull one over on them.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subnet is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip. Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by shn@6 August 2003 - 10:45
    No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subdomain is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip. Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.
    how is it possible for me to send emails using this ip then?

thanks for the reply balamm...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+6 August 2003 - 03:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 6 August 2003 - 03:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@6 August 2003 - 10:45
    No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subdomain is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip.&nbsp; Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.
    how is it possible for me to send emails using this ip then?

thanks for the reply balamm... [/b][/quote]
    Where are you sending them from? You are using that address but only on your network. When you send and receive packets from the net thats not the ip address youll use.

Btw, all this is assuming you have a router. If you dont have a router then your ip is your ip. But, nevertheless the 192.168.x.x is reserved for private ip addressing just like 127.0.0.1 is reserved for the local loopback address.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by shn@6 August 2003 - 10:50
    Where are you sending them from? You are using that address but only on your network. When you send and receive packets from the net thats not the ip address youll use.

Btw, all this is assuming you have a router. If you dont have a router then your ip is your ip. But, nevertheless the 192.168.x.x is reserved for private ip addressing just like 127.0.0.1 is reserved for the local loopback address.
    no router

and i&#39;m only typing in what i showed in the screenshot above

i&#39;m preplexed by this...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Ok, here is whats going on. I just saw the post with your telnet session. Your on dial up. Which means you dial into your isp and that places you physically on their network with a private ip address that their dhcp server hands down to you. In fact all the data you send reroutes through their gateway. Sorta like what balamm was referring to. When you send or receive it goes through your isp internet gateway which in fact is a real internet ip address that is connected to the net.

Imagine having 5 computers and they all only have private ip addresses. You want them to connect through your box so they can connect to the net through you. So what you could do is have those boxes dial in to whats called a ras server (routing and remote acess) you could also use a vpn. But even though youll have that private ip address youll be using the main box as a default gateway.

Kinda making sense now? Dial in isp&#39;s use and sometimes even dsl isp&#39;s use ras servers to get their clients connected.

Btw, the reaon your pal couldnt connect is because he wasnt on the same network as you and your isp probably doesnt allow mail relay from clients who arent theirs. that prevents a lot of spamming from reaching the net.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    thanks a lot for the reply

makes sense now...

i just wanted to use telnet for something...now i can check my email and send email

hardly major, but it&#39;s better than nothing

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Just out of curiosity... Did you have to log on to that computer, or you able to just freely send emails through that IP?

If it&#39;s the latter, your ISP needs a good swift kick in balls...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@6 August 2003 - 20:12
    Just out of curiosity... Did you have to log on to that computer, or you able to just freely send emails through that IP?

If it&#39;s the latter, your ISP needs a good swift kick in balls...
    no login, only what i typed into that telnet session as shown

my isp is freeserve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12