Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet

i've been mucking about with telnet this morning, checking email and sending email and such

i used an ip given out on another site i found on google. don't know if i'm allowed to post it, i'll post it anyway, and if it's inappropriate, can a mod remove it...thanks

192.168.1.1 25

now, i was using this ip happily enough to send anonymous emails (just to test, not doing anything naughty)

however, a friend of mine (board member, TClite) tried to use this same ip but couldn't connect

the only major difference between our situations is that he's on BT and i'm on freeserve

he tried turning off zone alarm, but still couldn't connect

does anyone know why this ip would not be able to be used on a bt line?

thanks in advance for any replies

p.s. we both have windows xp (i have home, he has pro)
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    192.168.x.x looks like a private or internal ip address. he cant connect to that. Its not the one that connects you to the net. Its assigned to you on your network.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    192.168.1.1 25 is a local network adress. i bet none of your emails will have arrived.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by 4play@6 August 2003 - 09:46
    192.168.1.1 25 is a local network adress. i bet none of your emails will have arrived.
    that&#39;s the funny thing, cos all of them did

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    here is the page i used for info...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Did you have the person recieving the email check the source info?

If it&#39;s anything like my ISP they add headers to it anyway so that it&#39;s not really annonymous.

Anything I send from my SMTP server without using a registered domain will come out like (computer name)@prod.shaw.ca (the ISP&#39;s internal SMTP name) so while it seems to be annonymous and your IP may not be included, your computer name could be tracked back through the DNS servers if they wanted to.

That IP you posted is reserved to IANA.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 10:15
    Did you have the person recieving the email check the source info?

If it&#39;s anything like my ISP they add headers to it anyway so that it&#39;s not really annonymous.

Anything I send from my SMTP server without using a registered domain will come out like (computer name)@prod.shaw.ca (the ISP&#39;s internal SMTP name) so while it seems to be annonymous and your IP may not be included, your computer name could be tracked back through the DNS servers if they wanted to.

That IP you posted is reserved to IANA.

this is a pic of the code i used, and the email i received

the only thing i&#39;ve taken out is the ip (mine?)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    If you have a private isp email and outlook or outlook express you&#39;ll maybe get a bit more info on the source.
    The way you&#39;re doing it is fine for web based email but I suspect that an ISP based email would either not accept it or would backtrace it the best they could.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 10:21
    If you have a private isp email and outlook or outlook express you&#39;ll maybe get a bit more info on the source.
    The way you&#39;re doing it is fine for web based email but I suspect that an ISP based email would either not accept it or would backtrace it the best they could.
    i&#39;m not doing it to be malicious...

i&#39;m just curious to see if it works

there&#39;s software out there for anonymous emails anyway...i&#39;m just wanting to see if it would work

are you saying i should try and email my freeserve account using the anonymous email address?
    i&#39;ve not tried that yet, i&#39;ll see how it goes

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ok, i just sent myself an email to my freeserve address

the reply to address is still [email protected], however, one of the ip&#39;s given looks remarkable close to mine

only the last segment is different

what does this mean?

i&#39;m not too good with ip&#39;s and stuff... :">

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast