Thread: Does It Really Matter The RAM Size In Seedboxes ?!

YoYoY's Avatar Am Livin' It BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25

Urgent

Does it really matter ? and if it does , Why ?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    HDR's Avatar SEED.OR.DiE-GOT.iT ? BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYoY View Post
    A seedbox is basically the same thing as your PC, if the seedbox is Windows based. If the seedbox is pushed to he's maximum memory capacity problems can appear, like on your PC.

For example, you use all the memory available in you seedbox, and it will start using the Windows "Virtual Memory", which is slow as sh!t, and the programs will stop responding, sooner or later, like on your PC, well, like in everyone's PC.

Anyway, i'm sure someone which understand a lot more than me can help you more than me... at least i've said what i think.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    It does indeed.
    Especialy if your running windows web or standard.
    Linux is more easier on running a client as linux uses minimal ram.
    If you have a seeder with say 256 of ram and u have 5 torrents running the probability is it will crash,and even with 1 torrent if ur on 100mbit once over 3-4mb it normally crashes.i had 512 ram on a old server and it used to crash after 4mb.
    So idealy you want a gig of ram if your running windwows.
    If your a uploader you prefably want 2.
    Plus the more powerfuler your machine the easier it is to create torrents withload lowering the up speed.

So dual core and 1 gig of ram is always a good start.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    YoYoY's Avatar Am Livin' It BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    A seedbox is basically the same thing as your PC, if the seedbox is Windows based. If the seedbox is pushed to he's maximum memory capacity problems can appear, like on your PC.

For example, you use all the memory available in you seedbox, and it will start using the Windows "Virtual Memory", which is slow as sh!t, and the programs will stop responding, sooner or later, like on your PC, well, like in everyone's PC.

Anyway, i'm sure someone which understand a lot more than me can help you more than me... at least i've said what i think.
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005 View Post
    It does indeed.
    Especialy if your running windows web or standard.
    Linux is more easier on running a client as linux uses minimal ram.
    If you have a seeder with say 256 of ram and u have 5 torrents running the probability is it will crash,and even with 1 torrent if ur on 100mbit once over 3-4mb it normally crashes.i had 512 ram on a old server and it used to crash after 4mb.
    So idealy you want a gig of ram if your running windwows.
    If your a uploader you prefably want 2.
    Plus the more powerfuler your machine the easier it is to create torrents withload lowering the up speed.

So dual core and 1 gig of ram is always a good start.
    Thanks alot
    Last edited by YoYoY; 04-06-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    The more, the better. If you're going to download at 10 mb/s and rar stuff at the same time, you'll feel and see the effects unless you have a above average seedbox.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Member BT Rep: +1
    My old box only had 1gb of ram and kept on hitting disk overload at around 8MB/s, it also meant that upload would slow if downloading was fast.
    The new box has 2Gb of Ram get 11.4MB/s up and down and never see diskoverload.
    Ram is very important if your looking to optimize a fast connection

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Well said steak.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I have never seen disk overload issues. I have a 1 gbit port box and sometimes I will get lan speeds of up to 50-60 mb/s. Never had a problem... even when seeding other torrents as well one 1 hdd.