Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how long should torrents live?

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I'm not big on downloading old content at slow speeds without much chance of seeding it back. I like being part of an active swarm. I think we should just let a lot of torrents die sooner than those dedicated seeders would allow (if you have more than 100 torrents older than two weeks in your client right now, I mean you).

I'd say 1 month is a good period.

But, I'm curious, what do you all think?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I appreciate those that keep the older torrents alive. Granted the speeds are not always the best, but my philosophy is content ftw. I'll get it eventually. Newer isn't always better.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    If there´s something I miss of the golden times of eMule is that, you could grab very old stuff.
    In torrents -almost always- any release older than 15 days is very hard to download and harder to seed back. And then you have to go to public trackers... a pain in the ass to download...
    But it´s understandable and nothing´s perfect.

I am seeding torrents 2 months old in some trackers. Only erase them when my HD is running out of space.
    Last edited by Nemrod; 04-08-2008 at 04:29 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    build up a buffer for those older torrents. I say keep up ones from 2003/2004 on up...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hizzal View Post
    build up a buffer for those older torrents. I say keep up ones from 2003/2004 on up...
    It's not the speed or the ratio that's stopping me. I just don't see the need to go back and get anything. There is plenty of new content to entertain me and keep my intertoobs full.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    New stuff is just a poor re-make of the old stuff. Rather watch the quality movie than the new release rich on SFX and poor on story

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I like the old stuff.
    I say keep it on as long as possible.
    I hate it when trackers don't have year-old movies.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    It's not the speed or the ratio that's stopping me. I just don't see the need to go back and get anything. There is plenty of new content to entertain me and keep my intertoobs full.
    Intertoobs? Is that a word?

Well, for me personally, I like to go back through the older stuff, see what I happened to miss....

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Torrents should live as long as possible and as long as there are seeders or members offering to reseed torrents.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    BANNED BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    That is a very hard question because im sure everyone doesnt have the space on the hard drive or doesnt like having all the torrent in there bittorent client sitting with no leechers for a long time. But in the perfect world we could all make requests and they got filled every time. But i think torrents should last a month aswell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast