Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP usenet access

Poster BT Rep: +3
    My ISP rules!

It just recently upgraded its usenet service giving its customers about 5.5-6 months retention @ 2 Mbps with very good completion. I hate paying for usenet access and have always relied on what my ISP gives me, speeds were slow, retention was low,and completion was decent for most groups. Now, this is a huge improvement over the crappy 1 month retention and 45 KB/s access it was previously offering.

Anybody else have positive experiences with their ISP's usenet service?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by emperorIX View Post
    yup, midco.net free access download @ about 2.5mb/sec dunno about retention... how i find that out?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by sickest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emperorIX View Post
    yup, midco.net free access download @ about 2.5mb/sec dunno about retention... how i find that out?
    Since i don't use nzb's that often, I usually end up downloading all the headers in any given news group...not everything is nzb'ed. The oldest post will tell you how good the retention is. In my case, the oldest post was in October in a very active lossless group.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Qwest is a telco covering a large area in western USA. I use Qwest's news server 'news.qwest.net' to download large posts, typically 4.7 GB and above, but I think I'm the only Qwest subscriber who does this. Sometimes another Qwest subscriber will even tell me that I'm not supposed to be able to do what I'm doing, for one reason or another.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    AT&T newgroups have gotten better with the number of newsgroups they have, but their retention is SO bad.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    What groups were added by AT&T?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    What groups were added by AT&T?
    I don't think alt.binaries.tv, alt.binaries.multimedia, alt.binaries.mp3, or alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 were there before, but they are now.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    a.b.boneless isn't in at&t

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    From what I read online, my ISP, Cox, now has 1-month retention allowing 4 concurrent connections, which is a lot better than they were a year ago, and not bad for ISP newsgroup service, from what I've seen. I still think I'll stick with Usenetserver.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    my old isp had 120 days retention i think, with speeds ~175kb/s. it was the only reason i wanted to stick with them . they was BT but my new isp doesnt give usenet, so i jus use torrents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast