Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading My Video Card

i have a microstar 6385 motherboard and a Nivia Geforce 2 mx 400 65mb

i want to upgrade my card to a DDR based card and i want to know if my SD ram bord will be compatible with a DDR based card.

wil ther be a problem with compatibility?

i asked in a pc shop and the assistant said it said somthing to do with AGP v8 or somthing along thoes lines

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    No Takers Yet?
    cummon lamsy dont let me down now

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    I see no reason why you would have issues. If you are going for the AGP slot card just make sure you get the suitable agp speed your mobo can use. In other words if you have a motherboard that is up to 4x speed agp compatible, don't go buy a video card that only runs at 8x. Some video cards out there can run 2x, 4x or 8x. May be your better bet in case you should decide to up your mobo with 8x AGP. DDR video cards are available in PCI form as well. Any idea what card you are considering?
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    im looking for a 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4200 - AGP for 119 pounds UK
    my mobo is agp x4 compatible and the 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4200 - AGP is agp 4 too

is the short brown pci slot the agp port?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    if i up my MOBO then will have to buy DDR ram, a graphics card, a processor and a new case cuz mine was built by a idiot at TINY and thers no way of removing the MOBO because the drives are in the way and ther is no way of removing the braket

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Miyake@5 August 2003 - 14:09
    is the short brown pci slot the agp port?
    AGP B) and you should be fine as the card is 2-4-8x compatible.

The 3D Blaster® 4 Titanium 4200 gives gamers Titanium power and tremendous value for money. Built on the nfiniteFX™ II engine for almost unlimited special effects, it has 64MB of DDR RAM at 500MHz plus pixel and vertex shaders that give incredible animations and surface textures. It processes up to 113 million triangles/second at fill rates up to 4 billion samples/second. Its new graphics core, with dual 350MHz RAMDACs and bandwidth up to 8 GB/second, optimises nView™ display technology, Lightspeed Memory Architecture™ II and Accuview Antialiasing™. It is highly compatible and connectable, supporting AGP 2x/4x/8x, VGA, DVI and TV-out to work the way any gamer wants..

Based on NVIDIA® GeForce4™ Ti4200 chipset, with 64MB DDR RAM at 500MHz.
    Dual programmable Vertex Shaders and advanced programmable Pixel Shaders for ultimate realism in 3D imaging and effects, animations, surfaces and textures, with the nfiniteFX™ II Engine.
    Integrated graphics processor and dual 350MHz RAMDACs for smoothness and power at up to 1.03 trillion operations/second.
    8GB/second memory bandwidth optimised via Lightspeed Memory Architecture™ II.
    Unbeatable visual quality, 113 million triangles/second and 4 billion samples/second fill rates, with Accuview Antialiasing™.
    Stunning full-screen DVD performance, with integrated TV encoder and nView™ for maximum flexibility in display options and control.

You meet the system requiremnts right?

System Requirements

IBM® PC 100% compatible
    Intel® Pentium® II and later processors,
    AMD K6® and K7® processor families
    64MB system memory or higher
    50MB available disk space
    AGP 2.0 compliant slot or better
    CD-ROM Drive
    Supports standard VGA and multi-frequency monitors
    Operating Systems
    Windows® 98
    Windows® NT 4.0 with Service Pack 5
    Windows® 2000
    Windows® Millennium Edition
    Windows® XP
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Miyake@5 August 2003 - 14:16
    if i up my MOBO then will have to buy DDR ram, a graphics card, a processor and a new case cuz mine was built by a idiot at TINY and thers no way of removing the MOBO because the drives are in the way and ther is no way of removing the braket
    I don't see a need for upgrading the board since the card is compatible with your mobo. Bottom line, if you are satisified with it's performance, then stick with it. You can expect better performance with the new video card. B)
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yep tahts the one.

if i feed you some web pages of waht im gonna buy will u give it the thumbs up?

have i made a good choice?

MotherBoard
    DDR x2
    Processor
    Graphics Card
    Case

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i have a:
    P4 1.4g clocked at 1.28
    512mb sd ram
    geforce 2 mx 400 64mb
    60g hd

ive been looking at mac laptops or a new machine for along time so i might aswell build my own. it cant be that hard just a box with the same spec im gonna build will be 700 quid

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Okay, as for the RAM compatability, the RAM for your motherboard and grahpics card do not have to match.......

I was using a SD Ram board with my radeon 7500 DDR card for awhile and it went off fine.

So, now, all u need now, is just a grahpics card, preferably a 2x/4x one, no need to get a Radeon 9800 or anything that was desinged for 8X support, seeing as how you wont be able to take full advantage of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast