Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Accents

J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1
    When you hear your voice recorded for the first time, it isn't usually something that you enjoy. It is a shock. Some wonder, "What's wrong with this equipment." Others are just stunned and flabbergasted.
    It is actually quite a simple phenomenon though. How we think we sound is different then how we really sound.
    Under normal circumstances our hearing is due to the sound waves on the air reaching our ears, "banging" our ear drums (yep that was a bad pun), vibrating the bones of the inner ear, stimulating the hair cells within the cochlea, changing into electronic signals which are then sent to the brain for interpretation. It is an amazing process, but the interpretation of sound is all based on sound waves.
    There are a few things that can alter sound. For speaking purposes, the reason your voice sounds different when you speak then when you hear a recording of yourself is simple, it's all in your head. Not that you have gone crazy or anything, but the tissues and bones of your head effect the sound you hear. Your cochlea is stimulated by sound waves through the normal process, but also by the vibrations of your bones from the action of speaking. It causes you to hear yourself in two parts, the first out in the air through sound waves, and the second within yourself as vibrations.
    The answer is simple, it's all in your head, literally!

2. Lounge   -   #12
    give me your keys you cockersucker

haha

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I'm told I sound like a posh Pakistani.

Bearing in mind that was by an adult bloke who sounds like a wee, posh, English lassie.

"I can't chat just now"

Fucking oaf.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. Lounge   -   #14
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by J-dye View Post
    When you hear your voice recorded for the first time, it isn't usually something that you enjoy. It is a shock. Some wonder, "What's wrong with this equipment." Others are just stunned and flabbergasted.
    It is actually quite a simple phenomenon though. How we think we sound is different then how we really sound.
    Under normal circumstances our hearing is due to the sound waves on the air reaching our ears, "banging" our ear drums (yep that was a bad pun), vibrating the bones of the inner ear, stimulating the hair cells within the cochlea, changing into electronic signals which are then sent to the brain for interpretation. It is an amazing process, but the interpretation of sound is all based on sound waves.
    There are a few things that can alter sound. For speaking purposes, the reason your voice sounds different when you speak then when you hear a recording of yourself is simple, it's all in your head. Not that you have gone crazy or anything, but the tissues and bones of your head effect the sound you hear. Your cochlea is stimulated by sound waves through the normal process, but also by the vibrations of your bones from the action of speaking. It causes you to hear yourself in two parts, the first out in the air through sound waves, and the second within yourself as vibrations.
    The answer is simple, it's all in your head, literally!
    Nice one.

That was good. Now I know why I sound like shite.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I hate mine, in several languages.

I used to have a fairly good proper (posh-ish ) british accent when i used it daily at skewl, then I got really out of practice. My intonation got really mad for a bit, and that was so funny I kept doing it, ended up sounding a bit welsh.

Then I didn't speak any english for a couple of years, and the next time I had to speak any (with some exchange student mongs, and some germans when I was in Germany) I sounded like a merkin.

I'm even more out of practice now, so I expect I'd sound somewhat merkin but mostly ace of base, 'cept when I catch myself and start pronuncing some words with a british accents

In other words, I'm all over the place.

It's 'cos of t'telly, see. There's not much british stuff on, and tons of the merkin.

My native accent, like, currently sounds a bit like I'm a hick. It used to be less marked, but I find that the less I communicate with people, the more I revert to my original dialect, which is terrible.

People used to mistake me with people from further up north, but not today.

In other languages I just sound like a menthol, trying my way forward, like.

I fucking hate my own voice as well

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Glagging at the Ace Of Base reference, Snee.

Noice.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I sound londonese.
    Now go away.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I actually heard your (chalice) voice once on gmailtalk (or whatever it was called),
    as i recall,
    it was smooth, deep, resonatingly barreled confident manly tone mixed with a unique accent just to add a specific regional flavor and not banal cliche voice.

You do not need a Stephen Hawking's voice, although for a few quid i can slit the cords.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    I actually heard your (chalice) voice once on gmailtalk (or whatever it was called),
    as i recall,
    it was smooth, deep, resonatingly barreled confident manly tone mixed with a unique accent just to add a specific regional flavor and not banal cliche voice.

You do not need a Stephen Hawking's voice, although for a few quid i can slit the cords.
    Zed, barring the cutting my throat thing, that was the nicest thing anybody has ever said to me.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Yes, apart from the radio broadcaster voice, the conversation itself was not as exciting.

It went something like this
    "Hello?"
    "Hello?"
    "Helllllllloooo?"
    "Can you hear me?"
    zed types - i can hear you
    "I can't hear you"
    zed types - I do not have a microphone
    "Damn shame that is"
    zed types - i'm new to this, was just trying it out
    "Fuck you newb"
    zed types - No fuck you
    "do you want to hear me sing?"
    zed types - why not? hit it
    "lalalala lola la la lola etc etc

I don't exactly remember the convo, but it was your basic i got technical failure typo thing.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast