Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1 thing to make a perfect tracker and only demonoid can do it

BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    As you guys know, Demonoid is back. It has the most comprehensive database of torrents around, but imo what was really bottle necking it when it was around was its pathetic ratio standards. Excessive leeching really turned down the quality of the tracker a few notches. Now, I'm not one too complain about poor speeds, hell, There are trackers that I wish had a lot MORE leechers. In reality 2mBPs,1mBps,500kBps or even 200kBps are all decent speeds and in the worst case scenario I could leave it dl'ing overnight. In Demonoid case, I remember dl'ing at around 40kBps for the average torrent (few months old dvd rip). Demonoid has to stop being best friends with public trackers and at least ENFORCE a ratio system. With its fresh start it has the chance to do all this. These are just my thoughts. I'm curious as to what your all views on this are.
    Last edited by WarrenBuffet; 04-12-2008 at 03:55 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    From the Demonoid FAQ:

My ratio is getting too low, am I going to be banned?
    The ratio system is purely statistical and somewhat innacurate for the ones with shared or dynamic ips. Besides what other users may think of you for not sharing, there is no punishment for having a low ratio.

If you don't like the system, don't use the tracker. Demonoid was always a hybrid public/private tracker and I don't expect that to change.
    Last edited by colbert; 04-12-2008 at 04:00 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Well their system worked didnt it. So i dont think their ratio system will change. But i remember reading somewhere the reason why Deimos didnt implement a ratio checker was to prevent all the extra processing that it would cause.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Shno's Avatar BT addict BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    I think Demonoid is a great site, and it's true that the speeds are less than ideal, but they have an huge database of torrents, and it is definitely a step-up from public sites. I often remember finding things on Demonoid that I couldn't find on any other private or public trackers.

And considering that they do open signups regularly, how effective would putting a ratio system into place be at keeping out the leechers?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ShadowsServant's Avatar Tomato BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    We can't have it all now can we?
    I say enjoy what we do have. Demonoid is back, it's something a lot of us has been waiting for. A tracker well worth the wait.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    nolimit2008's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    yes i also see many law ratio torrents there
    Every Time I like to giveaway!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I agree they should remove external torrents for good. Speeds on internal torrents are good actually.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    I don't want to see any major changes to Demonoid,they were fine before and I'd like them to continue in the same way. I just wish all the uploaders who's torrents went dead come back to reseed them,that's all.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    it`s a great tracker but not the best one ... so stfu

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zaa730 View Post
    Demonoid has to stop being best friends with public trackers and at least ENFORCE a ratio system.
    Demonoid was always a public tracker, it's only the forums that were private . The whole ethos of the site was community & sharing, rather than the selfish ratio based mania that seems to be escalating to ridiculous levels on private trackers (seedboxes, whatever next) .
    As to people complaining of download times, why? Do you hold your breath until the torrent finishes? Must you really have that episode of American Idol 10 seconds after it's aired .
    Didn't think so .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast