Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ratio proof etiquette

buckpasser's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +1

Question Mark

Quick question.

I'm fairly new here and was wondering something. I understand the need to severely edit ratio proof pics to hide your username, etc., but if I do a giveaway and am suspicious, is it tacky to ask the person via PM for their username on the site they posted proof for?

My first thought is that it wouldn't be hard to creatively use Photoshop to tinker with these pictures. Or am I just being paranoid?

2. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #2
    Cristian's Avatar no guts, no glory BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    For giveaways? I'd say paranoid.
    The stupid perish, but stupidity persists.
    Ion Luca Caragiale

3. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #3
    ShadowsServant's Avatar Tomato BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    It's perfectly common to be wary. Doing a public giveaway is like giving to strangers. I think it's very responsible of you to ask for something more than just a ratio proof. A direct link to their profile on the site would be ideal. If you both have the same sites.
    If it a tracker you value and don't want to get banned a more thorough investigation is all up to you.
    You are the one giving away your invites. It's up to you to decide in the way you go about it.

4. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #4
    Fullmetal's Avatar </war> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I dont trust pics of peoples ratios as you dont even need paint to edit them your browser can do it for you.

example
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1647052_sct.JPG

Last edited by Fullmetal; 04-22-2008 at 04:41 PM.

5. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    its perfectly normal to be feeling this what, thats why some people ask for profile page links
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

6. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #6
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    ask them for profile links. its definitely not paranoid and i do it for level 4+ giveaways. some people will steal someones ratio proof and then use it later on. also be wary of speedtests that are saved or old. if it's a precious site i will pick a location on speedtest.net and ask for a speedtest from that location.

by doing this i can safely say my invite trees on my precious trackers are filled with good users

7. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #7
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    When you do giveaways treat it like a group interview. Do whatever it takes to make yourself comfortable with your potential invitees. Ask them questions about what methods they use to seed, ask for a couple speedtest, and some profile links. Remember you are responsible for the person that you invite, so only invite the best candidates. If nobody wows you enough to give away your invite then just browse through candidates from similar giveaways.
    See ya in another life, brother.

8. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #8
    Gtb's Avatar n00b with two stars BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I don't find paranoid, but when i asked some people to tell me the username there, or to PM me, they thought that i was a spy, and was trying to destroy them.

Of course the ones that trusted me, got the invites

I mean, why do i have to trust you with my invite, if you don't trust me giving me the userid that you have on the proof, to check myself?

9. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #9
    PBT42's Avatar der iz no can BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtb View Post
    I don't find paranoid, but when i asked some people to tell me the username there, or to PM me, they thought that i was a spy, and was trying to destroy them.

Of course the ones that trusted me, got the invites

I mean, why do i have to trust you with my invite, if you don't trust me giving me the userid that you have on the proof, to check myself?
    Too true.
    After a while of giving out invites, I realised that there were some shady people out there who know some javascript, etc
    So now I ask for profile links if I don't know the person, and there should be no trust issue, if you are known as a legit invite giver
    No PMs unless I know you or have business with you

10. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #10
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by buckpasser View Post
    Quick question.

I'm fairly new here and was wondering something. I understand the need to severely edit ratio proof pics to hide your username, etc., but if I do a giveaway and am suspicious, is it tacky to ask the person via PM for their username on the site they posted proof for?

My first thought is that it wouldn't be hard to creatively use Photoshop to tinker with these pictures. Or am I just being paranoid?
    Bottom line, your giveaway, your thread, your rules.

You lay down whatever conditions you want, be as clear as concise as you can in what you expect, always remembering of course that quite a few trackers detest what you are actually doing these days, it used to be the done things but now is severely frowned upon, so any safeguards that protect you can only be for your own benefit.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast