Thread: A Newbie's Nightmare Pt. I

Dear Seasoned Professionals (or any who care to help out..),

I'm new at all this and I'm having a couple of problems (which I'm sure won't seem like much to you all). Anyway, here goes:

I've downloaded a program and it's sitting in my shared folder, but I cannot open it because the program has an ".ISO" abbreviation and I get an error message that "such and such a program cannot open the file." Which program can
    i use to open this? I know how to change the program that opens it, but I don't know which one to use! If this makes any sense at all, please comment. If not, let this newbie stew.

Second question: I've downloaded a program (haven't been able to use it yet, however...see the first question above) went to the store and bought the same thing for a friend (so that she could have the serial). I first wanted to buy one in the box, but the dealer suggested one without a box because it was forty dollars cheaper. I asked him about the serials and he said I didn't need them. He also said the disk would only work once. Is this a demo copy? Is there something on the disk which might prevent me from burning a copy? What's goin' on?

Any help would be very sweet of you.

-Phaedrus

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    First question: Look at the pinned topic in the software section.

Second question: Depending on what program it was, he probably ripped you off.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Uh....DuH! Thanks Xilo! (How embarrassing.) Next time I'll look before blindly leaping!

In regards to ripping me off, I'm not sure. It was at a bloody radio shack. Can one sell demo copies of N SystemWorks '03? Would I be safe to make a copy for my computer?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the obvious....gawd.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I am no rocket scientist ... but a good program for opening .iso files is the excellent and relatively inexpensive (at least on k-lite) WinISO. (lol)

As far as buying software without a box ... it just depends .. but since I have never done it I can't really comment.

Anyways good luck.

B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cheers you two! I've learned a tonne already!