Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BT Safety for Dummies

sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    If you are going to fork out the dough for a seedbox, why not save some money and do Usenet?

Usenet FTW...

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    If you are going to fork out the dough for a seedbox, why not save some money and do Usenet?

Usenet FTW...
    I've seen many people here on FST use and suggest using Usenet. For me personally, I find it completely useless and unorganized. Trying to find something useful in there is like voodoo science. I can only compare it to a plain search on emule network where 99% of search results for a movie will be fake pr0n content. Finding the real one is like finding a needle in a haystack. You'll spend a lot of time for nothing.

As for using seedboxes to protect your home IP, how is it safer if you provide your home address to the seedbox provider for billing? If any anti-piracy organization tries to get you, they will deal with the seedbox provider just like they would with your ISP. Some might say that having seedbox located in another country is a good practice, but I've seen some people complain about the speed to Europe from the US jumping up and down and being really bad sometimes. Using US seedboxes for your privacy is no better than protection of your identity by your ISP.

Please do not think that I'm trying to talk you out of going for Usenet or a seedbox. All I'm trying to say is that if you want to use BT for downloading copyrighted content - do follow this great guide and try to stay up-to-date with latest safety tips and ipfilters. If you want to try some other alternatives (e.g. Usenet, seedbox) please do your homework and read the corresponding safety tips and suggestions first.

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #43
    I agree that usenet can seem a bit sloppy, and it is.... however if you use the right index sites you won't get the crap, the sites that allow flagging and user comments are good ones to look for.

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #44
    The DHT thing will come very handy for me, thanks

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #45
    nice guide u made here

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #46
    Poster
    is there any way of useing free usenet i see some posts few years ago !

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #47
    Thanks for sharing before this I don't know about it.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #48
    CosmicCharlie
    Thanks, been looking for this. One.

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #49
    mlindsay's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by netjuba View Post
    is there any way of useing free usenet i see some posts few years ago !
    Yes there are free usenet servers, although it may take some patience finding one through google. I found Just4today.net which has great retention ( dispite the website claiming 10 days ) and has decent speed for a free server (500kbs for me ). The only annoying thing is that you have to get a new password every day, but 20 seconds of my time every day seems like a small price to pay for free usenet. There are other services like usegrab and you can occasionally get a free usenet account from certain providers when they have a " promo " I recently got a free account from Xs usenet, you just have to keep your eyes open. Also certain internet providers have free usenet servers. They don't generally advertise that but if you ask your internet provider you probably have a 50/50 chance that they will say sure.
    Ironically I just switched service providers, and found out afterwards that my old provider had free usenet access and my new one doesn't Not a big deal to me though, my new provider is cheaper. I love talking to internet cheapskates, because I am the biggest one there is I figure I pay for internet, so everything I get from the internet ( with the exception of actual goods like clothing and concert tickets ) should be free.

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #50
    I think PeerGuardian is not longer being developed, what is a good alternative for it? Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast