Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bump down system

tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    It might be that this is not the appropriate place for this post, but as the invites section is one that most needs such a system so i've decided to post it here.

As it seems that lately everyone started hating somebody (I personally don't, well... maybe this one member that is pissing me off!), i thought that instead of the usuall dissing and flaming, we might be better of using a new bump down system.

So this is how it goes:
    * You can bump down one thread every 24h.
    * Bump downs are anonymous unless the user wants otherwise.
    * A bump down will cost 1 rep. point, since in my opinion if you are a hater or even if you are just pissed of, it shakes your credibility.

Here there are two options, one:
    * Once a thread has been bumped down it will end up at the end of the page.
    * A bumped down thread cannot be bumped up by the owner!
    * The thread will not be bumped up by new posts from other users.
    * After 24h everything goes back to noraml.

Alternatively (I like this one better):
    * Everything is as notmal except that when the thread is bumped up by the owner or because of a new post it will only go one level up instead of going straight to the top of the page.
    * The above behavior will remain until the thread is closed.

In my opinion, such a system will allow to get rid of unnecessary posts quicker than usual... threads that falme easily can be put out quickly by gracious members. In addition, those hanging points can be used for a far better useful and fun purpose.
    Last edited by sagib; 04-15-2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typos...

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What do you mean by "bump down"?

I'm not sure I understand your terminology.

yo

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    i can't ever see either of those ideas being implemented sagib, and i don't see how they would reduce flaming anyways. allowing users to lock their own threads has already solved the flaming issue.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Don't over complicate a simple system, it isn't worth it, no matter how we feel about certain things the invite forum works perfectly well as it is.

It took me a long time to see it, and like everybody else I wanted to see immediate changes in the way it works (my particular beef was the final straw for one old MOD and he walked away, something I regret to this day), but it is cyclic and about every 3 or 4 months there is a sea change and most will be gone replaced by other people all looking for what those who have left already got and they never return, some hang around to pass on little bits that they picked up along their journey, but even that is a pain as all the questions you see are repeated the next month.

12 months ago everything & anything was a trade, even the majority of the BT MODs were hard core traders, now it's split between hard core traders, anti-traders and those who couldn't give a shit and sometimes offer what they have (quietly & discreetly) or sometimes require something they are looking for. Who knows what the big thing in 12 months time will be.

The Admin & senior MODs here have seen it all before and generally leave the place to let it run its own course and let it be self policing, only intervening when there is a scam or a cheater or a seller of sorts in the report section or as required in the middleman section.

Nope, best policy is leave well alone, by all means interject now & then with pearls of wisdom, and poke fun at the idiots who deserve the ridicule for what they post
    Last edited by SgtMajor; 04-15-2008 at 07:15 AM.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Well you might have noticed the rate a post thing. Posts would be hidden if they got a certain amount of negative checks. The problem is some grouped against members they didnt like. If your a n00b to the site this wouldnt set a friendly atmosphere. This allows members to moderate posts. When its done by groups against a member simply based on dislike its time for it to be removed. You might have noticed that it has been recently.

What your asking is a more involved type allowing threads to be misplaced. Since a simpler form of this has been removed it would be difficult to think why wede do this. Theres also appears little benefit to it. The other issue is those situations that dont play out fairly. Also members do have the abilty to put other members on ignore if they want to...

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Also, if a post or thread were so negative that members felt the need to "spend" their rep in an attempt to hide it, the report button would seem a preferable and easier option. After all, that is what it's there for.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmajor
    12 months ago everything & anything was a trade, even all the MODs were hard core traders, now it's split between hard core traders, anti-traders and those who couldn't give a shit and sometimes offer what they have (quietly & discreetly) or sometimes require something they are looking for. Who knows what the big thing in 12 months time will be.
    That is a fallacious statement Sarge. All of the mods were not hardcore traders or even traders for that matter. Almost every mod here ironically enough (even a year ago) is adamantly against trading. We did however have a couple of BTMods for a short time who were indeed hardcore traders.

yo

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Also, if a post or thread were so negative that members felt the need to "spend" their rep in an attempt to hide it, the report button would seem a preferable and easier option. After all, that is what it's there for.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmajor
    12 months ago everything & anything was a trade, even all the MODs were hard core traders, now it's split between hard core traders, anti-traders and those who couldn't give a shit and sometimes offer what they have (quietly & discreetly) or sometimes require something they are looking for. Who knows what the big thing in 12 months time will be.
    That is a fallacious statement Sarge. All of the mods were not hardcore traders or even traders for that matter. Almost every mod here ironically enough (even a year ago) is adamantly against trading. We did however have a couple of BTMods for a short time who were indeed hardcore traders.
    Edited, I was talking about BT MODs, the ones that were very active in that forum, not senior MODs of the rest of the forum.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Thanks.

Regardless of what our policies are, I wanted to make that distinction.

yo

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Aliyans's Avatar Came, Saw &Conquered BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    hi
    I dont think its a good system...even there is no need 4 such system especially there frequency of threads n posts coming up in bittorent invite section...if u post a thread there n if no reply it will drop down to next page in less than 5 minutes coz of frequent posts threads..it will go down.. as far as i know FST members are good enough to bump up needful threads only by reply..but there are people[may be few] who bump by "good luck", "hope u get it" posts...even that is helpful for the thread starter though to keep his/her thread in first page for a few more minutes so more people see it..but i donno that can be encouraged...

Weindians

SHARING IS CARING..

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliyans View Post
    hi
    I dont think its a good system...even there is no need 4 such system especially there frequency of threads n posts coming up in bittorent invite section...if u post a thread there n if no reply it will drop down to next page in less than 5 minutes coz of frequent posts threads..it will go down.. as far as i know FST members are good enough to bump up needful threads only by reply..but there are people[may be few] who bump by "good luck", "hope u get it" posts...even that is helpful for the thread starter though to keep his/her thread in first page for a few more minutes so more people see it..but i donno that can be encouraged...
    If people stopped bumping threads then there would be no need to bump them in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast