Thread: Rpc (remote Procedure Call) Restarted My Pc!

Someone please tell me what this program is and what it does and do I need it running?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    it's not a program, it's a "service." it is an important part of Windows, and i wouldn't suggest disabling it.

"Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services."

disabling RPC would stop a huge amount of Windows components from being able to function.

if an RPC error is crashing your computer, it may be that you've installed flaky drivers for one of your hardware devices, you're using a program that causes problems when it interacts with the RPC service, or your Windows installation has become corrupted or damaged (and you may need to repair it with the Windows CD). there could be other possibilities for why the problem occurred, but those are my best guesses.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I was at a LAN Party a couple nights and some kid was using this as an exploit to just randomly restart people's computers. If it happens on a regular basis it might be what Braniac said, or perhaps you got hit my a script kiddie. If you're on broadband and have no security it might be someone doing it to you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Schuler@10 August 2003 - 21:19
    or perhaps you got hit my a script kiddie. If you're on broadband and have no security it might be someone doing it to you.
    right. there may be a different service related to the RPC, that someone exploited in order to reboot your computer. but the problem shouldn't be the RPC, itself.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    Might be a good idea to patch yer windows...