Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Land Of The Free? Imprisonment Without Trial

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@14 September 2003 - 08:33
    @ Shelley ..

Iám wondering what world you live in ? WHO is going to protect and educate the women of the Middle East ?
    I'm wondering what world you live in ? Are you saying women can't be educated? Are you saying we shouldn't bother trying, because of their past treatment?

Strange post!

B)
    Well I think Shelley seems to show knowledge of Islamic cultuur. Namely factor Islamic male....

You can't just go 'educating" these (their) women. It would be looked upon as indoctrination and treated as such.....No I don't see many islamic women going to such schools of reeducation.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #202
    and i think they're perfectly entitled to think of it as indoctrination / forcing your values on them. I'm sure you don't think another country should decide what is taught in your country.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #203
    BANNED
    Well I think Shelley seems to show knowledge of Islamic cultuur. Namely factor Islamic male....

You can't just go 'educating" these (their) women. It would be looked upon as indoctrination and treated as such.....No I don't see many islamic women going to such schools of reeducation
    I think Shelley is showing a LACK of knowledge about Islamic culture.

You speak as though ALL muslim women were downtrodden and uneducated. This is just not true. It's a minority of countries where women are treated like that.

And what did you think Andie meant? You walk up to a bunch of men, give them some money, and ask them to educate their women?

Women will do that job, with government approval. There are plenty of women's organisations doing that already. Their main problem is underfunding, not muslim men.

And if you really are concerned about women Shelley, what about the cultures where they circumcise young girls? Oh, but they're black cultures, arent they, mustn't talk about them, that's racism, but it's OK to talk about muslims, cos they're the enemy, eh?

EDIT: Which side of the fence are you coming from ilw? I don't understand what you are arguing for.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #204
    BANNED
    "When you capture a bird and put her into a cage, the bird will not have education or freedom. But even the owner of a bird gives it food and water to keep it alive. The Taliban doesn't even treat us like a caged bird. They don't care whether we die in our houses, or if we live," says Habib, who holds free literacy classes in her small Peshawar home for Afghan refugee girls.

The classroom is located in a 12-by-12-foot room, off a courtyard at the end of a maze of mud-walled alleyways. The classes are sponsored by a shadowy women's rights group called the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan, or RAWA. For 14 years, this secretive organization has documented the oppression of Afghan women and operated a network of underground schools for women inside Afghanistan and refugees in neighboring Pakistan.

Here's an example of what women can do in the face of oppression. These are the sort of enterprise that should be funded.

EDIT: Oops, should have provided the link to above quote.

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/response/...libanwomen.html

5. The Drawing Room   -   #205
    Why should they be funded?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #206
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@14 September 2003 - 10:08

And if you really are concerned about women Shelley, what about the cultures where they circumcise young girls?  Oh, but they're black cultures, arent they, mustn't talk about them, that's racism, but it's OK to talk about muslims, cos they're the enemy, eh?

This terrible practise (FGM) is being addressed in the Netherlands. That's not so difficult. Although this problem, being cultural and not religious, is often perpetuated by the women themselves.

The problem is, how does one address it in the lands where it's practised?

Perhaps this is worthy of a new topic, being very much off-topic here.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #207
    BANNED
    I wouldn't worry about being off-topic Nigel, no-one else seems to!

B)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #208
    BANNED
    Originally posted by ilw@14 September 2003 - 18:35
    Why should they be funded?
    Do I really have to answer this??

If you can't see why, I'm amazed!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #209
    What are you basing this amazement on? Why should women be educated? Is it because they are educated in the west?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #210
    And why should we force democracy on Iraq?

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast