Thread: Extra Hd Space

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    guys, just thought of it and am posting before i forget: is there a way to get some sort of free extra hard disc space?
    i know it sounds impossible but hey, it could be extremely useful

and if not, whats the cheapest extra space you can get (i currently have 40GB divided into 3 directories and i have about 4-4.5 GB left which isnt enough if its spread on 3 directories! ).

thanks,
    tralalala

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if your running XP and installed it from a empty formatted HD then the file system will be NTFS (just click on C: in my computer to find out) NTFS allows you to compress the hard drive, dont ask by what factor because ive never done it.
    you cant compress FAT, FAT16 or FAT 32 tho

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    In XP and if you are willing, just disable the System Restore feature to claim back the space reserved for it. Usually anywhere from 2-3Gigs depending on hard drive size.

Downfall, should you need to restore you will not be able to. Then again if you backup your harddrive (system wise) you really have no need for restore.

Heck Fry's Electronics currently has a 120G 7200 rpm Maxtor drive for $98 (US) w/ a $30 rebate = $68.00 after rebate. Yeah baby, you know I hit them up for it. B)
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if you merge the 3 partitions into 2, have one for system and programs, and rest for your downloads. might be a bit better, or delete some stuff you dont need.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    1 problem: my brother has some 400-800 meg games on the computer...
    anyway, thanks cornerpocket for your reply. just a bit problematic: i live in israel...
    anyway, ill check the price range here and compare (i havent seen anyone with a 120 GB HD yet...).

tralalala

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    The cheapest way is to unload all the crap you don't want onto CD.
    Resulting in as much HDD space you want.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    yes i do that occasionaly but there comes a point where there just isnt anything else to delete...
    what i want to know is: whats the cheapest you can get for a GOOD 120 Gig harddisc drive?
    the only problem is that i live in israel, so i guess ill just have to compare the prices...

thanks,
    tralalala