Thread: Linux

Keikan's Avatar ........
    CAn someone tell me all the infromation about linux and all its, advantages, and tell me what i can't do in linux that i can in windows?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Well for starters you cant run k-lite under linux. People have been lying to others saying that they have gotten it to work with wine (windows emulator) but thats a bunch of crap and so far no one has been proven to do so. There are several p2p apps for linux that use to have fast track support (kazaa network) but they just could not keep up with the fasttrack network and most of the fasttrack plugins for those apps dont work anymore. If you have more than one pc then not be able to run k-lite on one machine isnt a problem. Whether some people like it or not, you can do a lot more with linux than you can with windows. Linux has built in compilers. That alone tells you that it is the type of o.s. that is ready for just about anything. It was designed to be a multitasking operating system. Meaning that a lot people can work on that very one machine at the same time with hardly any problems (can xp do that..........nope). It manages memory a lot better than any windows desktop o.s.. Quite frankly linux cant be compared to any windows desktop o.s. because their not even in the same arena and that doesnt matter whether your using linux as a desktop, workstation or server. It can however, be compared to a windows server o.s. which gives it a little competition but not much. The list goes on and on but the power and stability of linux is beyond the scope of this topic.

Just one thing though. You have to know what your doing or youll end up like a lot of people not liking it at all.

This link right here pretty much sums it up though. B)

http://www.shn.free-host.com/linux-is-good.swf

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    how do i partion my drive i would like to try linux while still useing windows till i get the hang of it. and how can i obtain a copy of linux
    thanks.
    Patollo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Patollo@7 August 2003 - 08:01
    how do i partion my drive i would like to try linux while still useing windows till i get the hang of it. and how can i obtain a copy of linux
    thanks.
    Patollo
    http://linuxiso.org/

Redhat and mandrake are the most user friendly. When it comes to partitioning your drive, I would suggest you just create an empty free space on your harddrive and when you boot up from the iso image you can let linux do an automatic pattitioning for you. All youll need for redhat is a "/" (ext2 or 3) a "swap" and a /boot partition. If you have free space on the drive then redhat will use that if you tell it to.

You should boot mandrake in the advanced mode to get a better control over the partitions. But if I were you I would go with redhat.

Youll have the option to install a bootloader, but bootloaders can lead to trouble if you decide to take linux off youll have to write another mbr to be able to boot windows. You could just use a boot floppy to boot into linux that would be a lot better than touching your mbr. Redhat gives you that option in the install. Mandrake unless its installing in advanced mode forces you to install a bootloader and if thats changed sinced Ive used it I know for a fact it doesnt let you create a boot floppy until youve booted into linux.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    dont forget to defrag first

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Can you:

Play games?
    Download junk on Kazaa? (There's a pinned thing on how to)
    Watch divx/any kind of films?
    Go on this forum?
    Listen to mp3s?
    Run those windows freeware programs you get from like tucows or download.com?
    Instant Message with AIM and MSN messenger
    Handle Isos?
    Burn stuff on to a cd
    Play games?
    Run windows progs that you might need?
    Look at pictures?
    Draw stuff? (paint)
    Play games?
    Run dos progs? (Mame emulator)

And which distribution is the best? fro the above. and can run on a intel p2

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    anyone?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Play games? some there is some software out there that lets you.

Download junk on Kazaa? (There's a pinned thing on how to) does not work too well

Watch divx/any kind of films? yep

Go on this forum? definetly

Listen to mp3s? def

Run those windows freeware programs you get from like tucows or download.com? depends if wine likes it or not

Instant Message with AIM and MSN messenger? kopete does both networks for me
    Handle Isos? yes

Burn stuff on to a cd? yes

Play games? tux racer rules

Run windows progs that you might need? sometimes.

Look at pictures? hell yeah

Draw stuff? (paint) tux paint. lol the gimp is cool

Run dos progs? (Mame emulator) im sure there is a dos emulator out there.

linux can do anything windows can with the exception of running certain apps designed for windows.