Thread: Delete Space?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Where does all the Deleted stuff go?
    Is it possible to use that "hidden /deleted" space?
    So that in the end you have more space to use?

I just did some undeleting, and recovered at least 15 gb of files, most of it in perfect order.

Is it not be possible to control that "hidden/deleted" part? In the sense that you can send files to it,
    yet somehow lock it, so that it does not get overwritten?

It seems there is a hidden section which we are not using for its potential.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Files are written to the disc.
    The file system creates an index saying where that file is, to find it and to not write over it.
    When you delete a file the index is removed, but the data isn't erased as that would take time and is unnecessary usually.

When you add files to the disc again it may write over those deleted files. There is no index of it being there.

It's impossible to lock that space because that would mean you could never write anything to the disc since it always has to overwrite something old.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Is it not be possible to control that "hidden/deleted" part? In the sense that you can send files to it,
    yet somehow lock it, so that it does not get overwritten?
    If you don't want the files gone, then don't delete them.
    If you want them saved and not overwritten, put them in a folder.

You could called the folder "Deleted" if that makes you feel better.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why not cut the files to a CD/DVD.
    Failing that delete rather than sending to the Waste bin;

Deleting stuff
    Select the object/file. If you hold down Shift and press delete the object is permanently deleted rather than going to the waste bin. I haven't checked but I should imagine the waste bin expands to accomodate the amount of files deleted. If so that is where your problem lies. It should come back and say 'Waste Bin full. Are there any of these files you want deleted permanently.

Rossco(B Gates) maybe able to help you to facilitate this, ably assisted by Clocker, of course.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ross thanks for explanation. So then it should somehow be possible to manually, remove the files index, yet put them on low overwriting priority or? how to this?

@Clocker & Boabab - Yes i know what you mean, but that is not what i am after.
    By un-indexing(deleted) files (as Rozz calls it), you gain space.Yet they are still there.
    Which means it is possible on a harddrive of 100gb it is possible to have maybe 25gb of free space ontop of it in the un-indexed(deleted) zone.(which is not overwritten).

Basically make your 100gb hardrive, into a 150gb (or more) is the aim.

@Rossco - There must be some automated priority as to which (deleted) files get over written first. Hence put them in the safe area.

if you have a full to the rim 100gb harddrive, yet you also have 15gb of deleted stuff . is it not possible to use that hidden space?

@Ross how much gb of info is it possible to attain in the unindexed space?
    a hardrive of 100gb can contain an extra amount of 100gb deleted info?

Do you understand what i am getting at?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ross thanks for explanation. So then it should somehow be possible to manually, remove the files index, yet put them on low overwriting priority or? how to this?

@Clocker & Boabab - Yes i know what you mean, but that is not what i am after.
    By un-indexing(deleted) files (as Rozz calls it), you gain space.Yet they are still there.
    Which means it is possible on a harddrive of 100gb it is possible to have maybe 25gb of free space ontop of it in the un-indexed(deleted) zone.(which is not overwritten).

Basically make your 100gb hardrive, into a 150gb (or more) is the aim.

@Rossco - There must be some automated priority as to which (deleted) files get over written first. Hence put them in the safe area.

if you have a full to the rim 100gb harddrive, yet you also have 15gb of deleted stuff . is it not possible to use that hidden space?

@Ross how much gb of info is it possible to attain in the unindexed space?
    a hardrive of 100gb can contain an extra amount of 100gb deleted info?

Do you understand what i am getting at?
    Sorry !00. you have lost me.

without being pedantic;

100gb hard drive can only hold 100gb.
    If that disc becomes full and you delete 25gb of files then you have 25gb left to use on your drive. The computer would just overwrite the area that contained the deleted files because it has nowhere else to put them.

When a computer formats a disc or deletes a file it is the same as removing the index page in a book. In a file case it is like removing a chapter information from the index page.. The book is still there you just don't know where the chapters start. The difference with a computer is that if it does not have the index information it is capable of overwriting all the original index contents and that would disappear forever.

Sorry for going on. Have I still not got what you are looking for?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Merci for the "not got"
    simple version.
    My 100gb hardrive was full of real files, yet i managed to extract 15gbs of deleted files, which according to windows did not exist on my drive.
    -hence my hardrive contained 115gb of files.
    Hence my hard drive CAN hold 115gbs or more.

By unindexing a file, it holds no space...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Merci for the "not got"
    simple version.
    My 100gb hardrive was full of real files, yet i managed to extract 15gbs of deleted files, which according to windows did not exist on my drive.
    -hence my hardrive contained 115gb of files.
    Hence my hard drive CAN hold 115gbs or more.

By unindexing a file, it holds no space...
    What does the properties of your 100gb disc show in capacity?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'll bet it's a 120GB drive....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg