Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why do people cover their user names

Lam3rD's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    Only those who have something to hide need to cover their usernames.
    qft.

I also hate when people ask me for invites and give me "censored" screenshots, that actually can be taken from someone else and therefore they doesn't mean shit.

It's a lot better when you ask that person to PM you his e-mail in 2-3 different trackers, he claims to be a member of.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Some sites don't like their screen shoots to be published outside the original site I guess

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    thedemon44's Avatar Poster
    lol. Beats me, I would never post a screenshot of a tracker im a member of. Whats the point? Doesnt make you any cooler.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    So they don't get banned.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    EyezSS's Avatar Numb
    Quote Originally Posted by thedemon44 View Post
    lol. Beats me, I would never post a screenshot of a tracker im a member of. Whats the point? Doesnt make you any cooler.
    Yes! I am really suprised by the fact how many users here use userbars. Probably by using userbars from hard to get trackers, they think they are cooler and their opinions count more than thoes who don't have any userbars.

@topic, it is mostly done for security reasons.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    IT'S BCUZ...

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    thedemon44's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    So they don't get banned.
    Which is a clear indication that they should not being posting the screenshots in the first place.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If you participate in trades, giveaways etc, covering you're nick is done to prevent either party from getting banned and your invitee or your trading patna.

Also, like another member said, if you make a comment that a tracker may not agree with who's to stop them from banning you if they know your nick.

Finally having a different nick defintely protects you if your the type that uses the same pass at every site you are on.
    See ya in another life, brother.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    buckpasser's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +1
    I think it's been fairly well addressed, but if the tracker has a policy not to give away (or trade) invites, it's a lot easier to piece the puzzle together if you have someone's username.

I had a similar question recently related to screenshots, which I felt can easily be faked. If you plan to give away an invite, and you are a member of another tracker they are, check their stats yourself and ask them to PM you there so you know it's them.

And I wouldn't use a username here that I use on trackers. Thankfully, the staff here has made it quite convenient to change your username, in case you didn't think of that when you signed up. Kudos to them for doing that.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Annoyed's Avatar Gamer BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I do it since I don't want everyone knowing my username/stats at that particular site. You don't have to cover your if you don't want to, it's just that most dol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast