Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying file error

One of my friend Pc had two users named abc, xyz both have administrator rights in windows xp with sp2, due to virus problem the operating system got corrupted so he gave his hard disk to copy the data of the user xyz, so while copying the folder of the user xyz from Documents and Settings, i got the the error like 'Error copying file or folder' cannot create or replace xyz: Access is denied, make sure the disk is not full or write -protected & that the file is not currently in use. so i taught to open the user xyz folder then also the same error it showed, so i right clicked on the user xyz folder and went to properties it showed 0 bytes. there are very important data's on the user xyz mydocuments & desktop, so how recover those data's back. plz help me.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    cant do a systems restore to earlier date then the virus

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Sounds like you need to take ownership of the folders - and all the folders & files within.

If you are on Vista then there is a patch to add an automatic process to the context menu but in XP it's all manual and fairly complicated.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    so now you think i can't get that data's back, so can't we take ownership of the folders in windows xp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You need administrative rights to recover the data. Here's how to do it:

Open explorer and find the folder you need to access.
    Right click and select "Sharing and Security".
    Select the "Security" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button.
    Select the "Owner" tab.
    Select the new owner and check the box marked "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
    Click OK.

The new owner should now be able to access the files, assuming they actually exist.

Remember, if you move the disk to another system you will probably have to repeat the above exercise.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thanks for your suggestion, but that user folder has zero bytes, do u think the data will be there inside it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Why not try the suggestion and have a look?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    KiNdZiUs's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    You need administrative rights to recover the data. Here's how to do it:

Open explorer and find the folder you need to access.
    Right click and select "Sharing and Security".
    Select the "Security" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button.
    Select the "Owner" tab.
    Select the new owner and check the box marked "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
    Click OK.

The new owner should now be able to access the files, assuming they actually exist.

Remember, if you move the disk to another system you will probably have to repeat the above exercise.
    yea, this's the solution. Just try it. It's ok that it shows 0kb size because you don't have premissions to access it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ok thank you very much

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    even i had same problem so i tried the option but i dint get that security tab..?
    Last edited by sunil; 04-28-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast